Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do a SOA on my 87 yj and had a couple of questions.
1st what degree shims do i need and how many
2nd I have seen the t-case lowering kits and would like to know how thick each of the three spacers are (I work in a steel mill and can
make my own, I just need the measurements)
3rd where can I get extended brake lines? I live in Ottawa, Canada

TIA
MAB87YJ

That which does not kill you, only serves to make you stronger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike, my suggestion is to not lower the transfercase. When you do a SOA you have to change the spring pads to the top of the
axle tubes, so when mocking up the rear, just clamp the spring pads between the springs and the axle tube and rotate the axle
til the pinion pionts at a spot about 3" behind the transfercase output yoke. Then weld the spring pads in that position. Since you
will need a longer rear driveshaft, make it one with a CV joint and that way there are no driveline vibrations and no lose of clear-
ance from dropping the transfercase. This way you don't need shims. As for the extended brake lines, most 4X4 shops should
be able to get them for you.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok hang on point the pinion behind the t-case???? don't you mean below the t-case? the rear u-joint angles in a non cv application should be equal and opposite (down from the t-case end, up from the axle end) most of them are positioned one degree down at the rear to allow for spring wrap when power is applied. a cv joint shaft should have the pinion pointing straight at the t-case output (one degree lower). if you point the diff behind the output joint the rear joint will be on the wrong angle and cause vibration, unless you are going to a slip yoke elim kit I would just lengthen the stock shaft, I have seen it done and it seems to work ok.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I said to point the pinion at a point about 3" in back of the transfercase output yoke, that would be the same spot as the center
of the second u-joint in the CV-joint. This is how mine is set up and it works just fine. I have over 50,000 miles on it, including trails like
Rubicon, Johnson Valley, and TDS Safari.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I see what you are saying now and that does make sense, in theory with a cv rear driveshaft you should have no angle on the rear joint at all, what it points at is irrelavant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.