Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I convert my front end to SOA, do I need to add a drop pitman arm? Seems like I'd need to change something.

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Re: Sring over axle help

Depends on what your drag link angle is after the lift. Most likely you will need a dropped pitman to lessen the angle and reduce bump steer. I ended up using a 4" dropped pitman arm for mine, then bought another when I converted to power steering. So if you need a 4" drop for a manual box I have one, if it will work on your DJ.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
439 Posts

how much for your drop pitman arm if he can't use it.
give me a email
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

will depend on what you do for steering.. under or over the springs.. under yes.. over no... i am over the springs.. and i had to get a stock pitman arm..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

they are right, it all depends on how it looks at the end of the job. My steering is over my springs and I have a SOA. I also use a 4" drop pitman arm. My drag link is perfect = i have no bump at all and was able to use my sway bar, using the drop arm.

Rob
http://sites.netscape.net/tapboxerc/homepage

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

pbm, what steering box is that for? Is it a manual saginaw? I have a ross steering box, but am planning on converting to saginaw soon. Let me know what you want for it....I will probably complete the SOA in the next couple of weeks so I will know then if I need one or not. Will it hurt anything to drive without a dropped arm if I need one? It shouldn't be for long and only on the street until the neccesary steering corrections are made.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

It's for a manual Saginaw, which I also have. 20 bucks plus shipping? You can have the box for free if you want it. The pitman arm is a skyjacker piece with five weekend trips on it before I went to power steering. Box is original but worked fine.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

pbm check your private messages

1 - 8 of 8 Posts