Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success getting the spring hanger bolts out of the frame when
they get rusted in? It's the only bolt I couldn't get on 4" lift. To make matters worse, I can't get the cutie-pie bumperettes off to expose the back end of the frame. Do I need to drop the gas tank and shield to get to this area?
Thanks in advance.

Brit
85 CJ7

G

·
I had to use an air hammer on my 89YJ to get the spring hanger bolts out of the frame. The problem is the metal sleeve the bolt goes through inside the metal frame. Even with an air hammer it took several hours to get the bolts out. I would just grind them off, then use a punch to get them out and replace them with Grade 8 bolts and grease them up real good.

absolutjeep

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I had the same problem on one of my front hangers. To get the hanger off I used a grinder to remove the bolt head. Once the hanger is gone there should be about 1/4" of bolt hanging down below the frame, I used a propane(MAPP) torch to get the bolt red hot and then used a heavy hammer to bang it and the captured nut up into the frame. The heat helped break the welds on the nut and made a clean surface inside the frame. I then fished a bolt w/washer into the frame and down through the hole and put a locking nut on the bottom of the new hanger. If you use an impact wrench you will have no problem getting the nut tight enough.

Good Luck,

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.