Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a really hard time getting the spring bolt out on my 85 CJ7, it has the stock springs (& lots of rust)
I got the nut off, but bang it with a very large sledge & lots of PB blaster & the thing still won't budge.
Am I missing something, or is it just a real bear. Any tips are helpful. Thanks.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY POST, I ENDED UP SAWZALLING ONE SIDE, THEN THE SAWZALL BLADES
WERE DULL (NEEDED 1 PER EACH SIDE OF THE BOLT), SINCE IT'S SUNDAY ONLY THE TRUE VALUE WAS OPEN & THEY
HAD SH**TY REPLACEMENT BLADES, SO THE OTHER SIDE I GRINDED DOWN & PRIED IT OUT. THANKS AGAIN!!

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

· Registered
4,757 Posts
step 1.. buy a new bolt
step 2...get the heaviest object you can swing and POUND that sucker!
step 3 repeat until bolt is out or your out of beer
step 4 keep old bolt as a trophy

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Am I missing something, or is it just a real bear.
No and yes.
Heat helps a bunch!!!!!! Heat the bolt head(yes I know the bushing is on fire/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif) and take the impact to it , or if no air continue to beat the crap out of it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Some of the bolts are impossible to get out w/o heat and air and some won't come out even then. If thats the case whip out the sawzall and cut the bolts off the shackles. Remove the springs , take a 1/4" drill and go to town on the rubber bushing. You can't save much but the spring this way but the ba***rd WILL come apart!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
Good luck. BTDT /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What has happened is the bolt has rusted to the sleeve, very common and a very LARGE pain. If you are talking about the big end, you may end up breaking the welds that hold the hanger in place, if you do make sure you have it rewelded, the rivets aren't enough to hold it. Last time this happened to me we ended up cutting the head of the bolt off and the end of the bolt, then burning the bushing out.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Elusive is right I forgot to factor BEER into this!!!!!!!!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
The rest will be coming shortly after they heard BEER.

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a torch? Probably not or you would have used it by now....../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I haven't tried it, but this just came to me; how about a circular saw with a metal cutting blade? Should be able to get it in there, without damaging the springs (might need a buddy to hold the spring away with a crow-bar or something).

Other than that.......the last time I did it, it was just a matter or presistance. I would spray, hit for a while (with a sledge), then turn the bolt with a ratchet and a breaker bar (old piece of pipe). I'd just keep goin' around and around that cycle......eventually it will break lose and get easier.

Have fun removing the bushings.<G>

There is a couple short write-ups on my page about the bushing removal:

jojo's Jeep page

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

· Registered
856 Posts
did you try to jack it up, or down if you already have it jacked up you may have too much pressure on it.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gifif you have access to a grinder (and not a torch) ,use a cut off wheel to cut the bolt end and head close as possible to the hanger,or use the grinder to get it close as possible, then PRY the hanger and see if it will drop out ,or the heat from cutting/grinding may have been enough to loosen it,pop it with a center punchjust for the hell of it..
also spray the others down now with PB blaster so it has a chance to soak in while you are screwing around with this one,even spray it and drive around for a week or so cause after the first one you will need a break /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifor more beer./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifI did one of mine about six months ago and haven't had enough beer yet to try the others.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif use an appropriate drill bit to drill out the rubber part of the bushing in a few places then hammer IT out,the metal sleeve inside the spring itself will probably be stuck also ,I had to use a hacksaw to split it and pound it out,I personally am not fond of the burn it out method just my opinion as I don't have a torch but would probably do it if I had one.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

· Registered
606 Posts
I went throught this myself a couple months ago. I used an air cutoff tool to slice the head and the nut off the bolt on the inside of the hanger. then was able to pry the spring down. Used a two jaw puller and an impact gun to drive the old bolt and sleeve out of the spring eye. needlenose pliers and propane to remove old rubber.

Good luck,
Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" bigger & size 33 shoes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most important thing is that when you do get done keep the bolt as a trophy. I broke a dipstick off flush with the engine block shortly after I bought my jeep with no mechanical experience whatsoever. A few days later, and a dropped oil pan and yanked out exhaust, I got the dirpstick tube out. I had to use a long screw driver, bolt, and remove the oil pump and beat it out from the bottom. That broken tube is still here in the house, cleaned up, and hung on a piece of leather. It is detrimental that you keep trophy's.
Good Luck

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.