Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all you suspension gurus. My '56 CJ5 is a little on the low side for height (Stock running 235's for tires). A shackle reversal has already been done and now I can't decide whether I should get my springs reworked for a 4" lift, or just get a new 4" lift kit. I'm wanting this Jeep to flex for rock crawling and I've heard conflicting opinions concerning both options. The rework is cheaper, but I've been told that the springs will eventually sag back down again. I am going to put a set of Revolver Shackles on both the front and rear spring packs, and it will see some limited on-road use. Any suggestions on which spring set up would be the best one for the money? TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rearching your current springs to a 4" lift would shorten their length (eye to eye) quite a bit. This is going to cause your shackles to point back towards the axle. You'd be opening yourself up to handling woes and easier kick back of the shackles which can cause broken springs. I don't know how the revolver shackles would work at that type of angle, but that's how a standard type of shackle will be affected. I'd go with a good kit.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New springs are the way to go all the way for one important reason, your springs were probably designed over 50 years ago. modern technology will provide you with a better all around suspension, be it for flexing, smooth ride, or durability

Jeff
83LWb, 3"lift, 31's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. I questioned the spring eye location after the re-rch. It looks like I'll be getting some new springs.. Thanks again. Maybe I'll see some of you in Moab!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.