Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Rancho springs arced to about 5" and the ride is very rough. I don't have the cash to replace them now, so I am thinking about opening the clamps to loosen them up.

1 - Do you remove the clamps all together or just open them up a little bit?

2 - Do you open all four clamps on each spring or just the outer two?

3 - What problems can this cause?

4 - How much softer will the springs be?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well depends on the clamps.. if they are like the cj's.. then i just take them all the way off.. piss on them.. and beat them straight.. once a week.. for the rear.. i have yj springs.. and for them.. i lifted them.. and straightened the entire clamp out.. and they work great..
but if you re arched the springs.. not alot you can do.. they will always be stiff..

http://www.jeepgod.net

If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone

G

·
my superlift 2 1/2 had them clamped down tight. so i took the springs off. put a good c-clamp by the bolt that holds the pack together. then i took a large chisel and opened the clamps up then i took the pack apart and staightened out the clamps(perpendicular i guess you'd say). then put all back together installed then drilled the clamps as high as i could to take a 5/16 bolt on each. this has greatly improved my articulation. in my opinion you want to keep the clamps and have something to keep the springs from getting to twisted when way off camber. just my opinion

taco
78cj7

G

·
I've been thinking of doing this also, but after reading a similar thread on the POR board, I'm reconsidering.
First off, if you use heat to open them, KEEP IT OFF THE SPRINGS! That will be the first place they bend or fail.
Second, you are basically making each spring work seperately (like several mono-leafs). The clamps lend support to all the other springs and allow them to work as a system. By opening them, each leaf has to stand on it's own and will wear sooner, decrease the life of the pack, and start to sag. This is especially true during conditions of axle wrap. The front of the pack will work fine, because it is pushing the leafs together. The rear half of the leafs will open and force the main leaf to resist the twisting by itself. With the clamps closed, all the other leafs can assist it to fight the twist.
If I do open them up, I'll just re-bend them so there is about 1/4" gap. That will take some of the harshness away & still maintain the integrity of the pack.

G

·
Highly arched springs are going to be stiff. All you can do to help is reduce friction. Opening up the clamps will help if they are the type that are clamped down tight. (Like my superlift springs were.) You can also add something between the spring to help them flex easier. Like teflon strips, graphite paint, grease, etc. I prefer anti-seize. It tend to stay on a little longer. I think you need some sort of alignment device to keep the leaves from fanning out. My 35's rubbed on my springs when turning, exactly at the spot where the spring clamp was, I cut the outside of the clamp off, and bent the other side straight up. I left the front clamp crimped(also opened it up a bit) around the leaves to keep them straight. It works well, and give a little more droop. Hope this helps some. you might be able to see them in these pics I've attached. (Pics not working, sorry)

-Jeremy

1980 CJ-7 all custom

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts