Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I posted a question a while ago about painting my jeep. I was at Sears last night and noticed a spray gun for like $50. The spray gun works off a air compressor.

I have a few questions.
1. Do i use special paint? Is is expensive? Where do you get it?
2. Do they really work well?
3. Is it worth getting?
4. Are they a pain to clean when your done?

my jeep is a trail jeep which is normally driving through just about anything that it can. I don't care about scratches or anthing. But I wouldn't mine giving it some new paint when it needs it.

Any help would be great.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would tell you this a spray can with paint works a lot better then a $50 spray gun the gun i have is a gravity feed gun that i paid like 265.00 it works the best i have tried the cheap ones they are a waste of money and time...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood,

I realize that it won't be the "best". Let me ask it a little different. Is the $50 Gun going to be that much better than my current way of painting my jeep?

It currently has about 8 cans of spray paint from a can sprayed on it.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a sears gun, but I think it was more like $85... anyway, I think it does a nice job. If you are using it for a trail jeep you won't be disappointed. I used mine for the primer coat when I was painting my jeep and it came out very good. I think the topcoat would have looked fine too, but I borrowed a HVLP gravity feed gun since I could.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I used Sherwin Williams automotive paint. With a cheaper gun like the sears though you can run just about any kind of paint through it. If you wanted to go to Lowes and buy a gallon of rustoleum you could paint your jeep with that or just about anything else. It depends on what you want to use.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, the cheap bottom feed guns do "work". I started with a $60 jobber from wal-mart and sprayed enamel (paint that has the hardner, clear, and base coats all in one, which is good for 4x4 since it doesn't turn white when it scratches) as well as base coat / clear coat (which requires spraying the base coat, cleaning the gun, then spraying several coats of clear). BUT if you want a professional looking job, go with a gravity feed. If you are just going to spray primer and flat colors, the cheap gun will work great. HOWEVER, I suggest you get a water filter (removes water from the compressed air) that goes in the air line, an drain the tank everytime before you paint.

One last word for everyone's info. A good paint job starts with good primer, get the self etching stuff (about twice as much $$) if you are putting some bucks into your paint. and of course good body prep helps /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed noone answered the ease of clean-up question. The answer is, it's a snap. Once you are done painting, pour a little thinner or mineral spirits in the resevoir and just spray it into a rag held a few inches from the nozzle. Then you can use the rag to clean off the body of the gun and external parts. If the tip is getting gummy, soak it in a pan of thinner. I kept several nozzles on hand if I was doing a big job (say a 40 foot spread-axle flatbed) just for that purpose.

Another option is to rent a quality gun, especially if this is a one time deal and don't have much use for a paintgun.

TXJeepr
94YJ w/SOA, 4:11, BFG 33's and a /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif4-banger

·
Registered
856 Posts
One important thing to think about is the CFM of your compressor .Is it big enough so you don't have to stop every 15 min. to let the compressor catch up. ?Look at the gun it should tell you how big a compressor you need in CFM.The gun may be cheep but a compressor big enough might stretch your budget..
If it is a trail jeep and looks are not important you can put it on with a roller or brush and save your Lungs and a whole bunch of money ...I don't know how I still have lungs after smoking and painting acrylic lacquers..or how I never blew myself up..

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I fyou have a big enough compressor you can get a HVLP gun for less than $265..

other wise a cheap gun does fine if you arent looking for a show quality finish, ive spryed lots of things with my $39 Lowes special and if you take your time, and set it right it looks great...

I mean, you can adjust the pressure, and the fan, nothing else on a HIGH $$ gun or a $19 gun...

always use a water seperator/filter before the spray gun , and a disposable fitler right at the spray gun...

For what your application sounds like, you should buy the cheapest spray gun you can find, and after the second paint job youll be money ahead if your spending over $3 a can for spray paint..

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually...I have used expensive binks guns and cheap guns....I believe the best paint job is a direct result of preparation and a clean atmosphere. Any spray gun will lay down paint and you can get an even coat...but if you lack in surface preparation or have very poor air circulation...you will get a poor finish. I actually painted my Jeep with a $50 cheap gun. I would rather use a brand new cheap gun than a dirty expensive gun. Just remember to meticulously clean whatever spray gun you have.....don't cut corners on priming and sealing.....and have as little overspray and max your ventilation.

~~TIM~~

Plus...hey...its a JEEP....not a porche...its gonna get scratched!

CJ-7 10"lift

·
Registered
369 Posts
Before you buy anything, find a local auto paint shop, go tell them what you want to do and see what they recommend. They may have a cheap gun, and if you buy from them, they will probably be more helpful. I don't do enough painting to be an expert, so I rely on the guys at the paint shop for paint information and recommendations.

My understanding is that cheaper guns won't spray as fine of a pattern as more expensive guns. When I bought my gun many years ago, I was told that it was the least expensive gun that would do a good job spraying metallic paint. My compressor (which was the best I could find that ran on 110) couldn't keep up with the gun long enough to do a whole car, so I would paint the sides and the top separately.

Even though it's expensive, pay the extra and use hardener if you use enamel paint. If you get any defects, you can fix them right away instead of waiting months for the paint to completely dry.

BTW, I hadn't done any painting for several years, and when I went back to the paint store where I bought the gun, I noticed it looked a little different from the outside. When I went in, I found out it was now a place that sold/modeled those skimpy Victoria's Secret type outfits. Then I sudden realized that it had been on the news earlier that week because of illegal activity related to the models in the skimpy outfits. I could just imagine going home to my wife and saying "Guess what honey, I'm on the news". Luckily, all the hidden cameras where gone.

jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.