Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been out of the ATV game for a long time and am contemplating buying a new quad for me and a mini-quad for my son. With value being a factor, I am looking at the 300EX, Warrior, and possibly the Mojave. I have ridden an older 250x and a new 400EX Honda and figure the 300EX should fall somewhere in between those two. It's been far too long since I've ridden a Warrior and I have never ridden a Mojave and am looking for some input on these two machines.

For financing reason I have to buy new, otherwise I'd look for a use 250r or quadracer for myself or might consider a new Banshee or 400EX if I had that much to spend. Been a die hard Honda guy all my life, but want good bang/buck as well. Feel free to email direct of post to list. I believe either Dirtwheels or 4Wheelaction had a shootout last year but I can't seem to locate a copy of it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
well asking here you will get people that are pro this and pro that....
Me I am a major yamaha fan...but i do note other machines that are worthy...i cant tell you anything about the mojove becuase i dont know enough about it...
the warrior is a tried and true ride and i love em...the 300ex i have not messed with much either...but have done the 400ex and i would take a warrior over it....

if you are a rider and have decent experience prior to your time away from the sport...u may get tired of the 300ex...but i dont know....the warrior has reverse and is tight....

whateverya decide...good luck!!

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airborne- other than it being a Yamaha, why would you recommend the Warrior over the 300EX?

Some areas that concern me will be long term reliability of the chassis, abuse from jumping that either will take, and power/fun factor. Both engines have been around forever, so engine reliability is a given. Dealer support isn't important either as I don't trust any local dealers as it is, so in general Honda or Yamaha is fine by me. The 300ex seems to be shorter & lighter, but if the Warrior is significantly faster and the stock suspension can handle some abuse from jumping and ditch banging, it might fit the bill better. However, I would sacrifice a bit of stock power and buy the 300ex if the stock suspension is clearly better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I happen to have personal experience with all these bikes. I had a Warrior for a while and sold it to get my 400EX. My usual riding partner rides a 99 300EX. The Warrior is a good bike but it definitely has some problems that keep it from being a competitive sport bike. It is much heavier than the other bikes in question here. It is heavy in the front end, which make wheelies difficult and hinders your jumping abiblity. I am not saying that you can't jump this bike but it is a lot more difficult than the Hondas you are asking about. The Warrior does have reverse though, which is nice. The 400EX is a much faster bike than the Warrior or 300EX, however it does lack reverse. My Warrior was modded and still couldn't run with my 400EX. They just are not even in the same league (I know I will catch Hell for that statement, but so be it). If you do not want to spend the money on the 400EX than I would get the 300EX. I am not pro Honda but the power difference between the 300EX and the Warrior is VERY minimal. The 300EX feels a lot more nimble and agile (and also has reverse). The handling on the EX's are far superior to that of the Warrior. The Warrior may have a better frame than the 300EX, I don't really know too much about the Warrior frame. I AM NOT TRYING TO FLAME ANYONE HERE, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION BASED ON MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have experience with several bikes now, and the 400ex will fill the bill ,if you can live without reverse, better than a warrior. If casual trail riding is what you want, the warrior is an excellent bike. The Mojave is for smaller people, like 5'6". You feel cramped on this bike and it is way underpowered. My wife had a 300ex, and reverse is a pain to use, period. It has good suspension and jumps well for what it is. It too lacks power, if your choice is between a 300ex and a warrior, go for the warrior. If you have extra cash, consider a Raptor. It is an excellent all around bike and it has reverse as well which is easy to use. Whatever you choose, have fun!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
you ask why I choose the warrior over the 300EX?

Well, the warrior I believe that is more stable from what I have seen. Both machines have bad suspension from the factory, but you are able to adjust the warrior suspension much more then the 300EX. The Warrior, contrary to what I have heard so far from the above posts, is not that heavy and I can pull wheelies on it easily. I have jumped the warrior and the 300EX on MX tracks and have taken them through tight trails. THe warrior handled far better.

Now remember that this will all depend on your riding abilities and what you feel to be the most comfortable. I truly believe that the Warrior would be the best bet for you. The reverse will be something you really want for the type of riding you suggested.

Now, the 400EX...well to be honest...I would be mor apt to spend the cash on the Raptor...

I am a yamaha fan, but I will NEVER steer someone in a direction I think they will not be happy with. The warrior in itself has been a very solid machine for our group. The 400EX's that we have here, I am constantly tinkering with because they just can not take the abuse we give them....

AirBorn!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the biggest quandry I am in is that no one makes the quad I really want anymore, the 250r or quadracer. I've ridden quite a few Banshees and while the power is nice they still seem to be lacking a bit in the chassis quality/durability department compaired to the 250r and quadracer, plus they are a bit more than I want to spend. I really prefer 2 strokes, but the Blaster is definitely out. So that leaves the thumpers.

400EX is very nice and if I had the cash is probably what I would buy, then again the Banshee is in that price range too. So my two real choices are the 300EX and the Warrior, which both would work well until I go riding with the boyz- modded 400EX, DS-650, Scrambler 400, modded Scrambler 400, and Scrambler 500. I sure hate being last across the fields!

Well I'll talk to the dealers and see what kind of deal I can get, then I guess that will make my decision a bit easier. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
dude you can get a quadracer for cheap like 1300...just save up a while...a 300ex or warrior will not be near as fast...i would take a warrior over a 300ex..i have had experience with both and like the warrior..

Large balls...the replacement for displacement/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
-VVickedVVarrior-

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
what is it about the banshee frame that is lacking in durability and quality???

I am 6'1" 290 pounds and I beat the piss out of mine...i hit table tops and doubles hard....and have not tweaked the frame at all...hell it still has stock suspension...just tweaked to my riding style....I will be changing out the suspension when I get cash...but that wont be until winter time, when I take out the motor for bottom side checks....

I do not feel the banshee is a bad choice....and hell...the banshee will smoke ur boys with some MINOR changes....

AirBorn!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've never seen a decent quadracer for under $2k, heck I got $2600 for the last 250r I sold [don't ask why I sold it, at the time it seemed like a good idea]. But for other financial reasons, I need to trade in an existing vehicle to get a couple quads, so buying used is out unfortunately.

So I guess it will come down to whatever is the best deal I can get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't feel the Banshee is a bad choice at all, and given a good enough deal I would buy one. But when compaired to the 250r and quadracer/quadzilla, long term quality is not the same [at least on some of the older thrashed banshees and quadracers I've seen]. The 250r and quadracers all seemed lighter in the front end and the rear suspensions were put together better with better components.

However, I have seen plenty of Banshees that are well maintained and cared for that live long and reliable lives.

So after much mulling, I'd probably rank them like this for me: 1)Banshee 2)400EX 3)Warrior 4)300EX. It will come down to whichever bike is the best deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two lt250r's and my 300ex. The first quad we got was the 86 lt250r, it was in a trailer for sale by the side of the road last November. It was a blast but I was told by the mechanics and several other quadracer owners is the problem the early lt250r's have is on the swingarm where the axle comes through the aluminum is thin and can crack easily, we had to get that repaired because it was cracked both sides underneath making the chain come loose. Also I don't know where you live but I live in the desert by the Mojave washbed and because of the dirt and sand I take the connectors apart after every third outing and clean them because the dirt gets in there and breaks the connection and taking off the cover where the stator is and blowing the dirt out of it. My ride is the 300ex/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and I love riding it the only thing I don't like about it is no kickstart backup/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It's pushbutton start with reverse which I have no trouble getting it into and haven't got stuck in the sand yet, also had a fabricator make a hitch for it that clamps on the grab bar and got a little trailer for it for working around the yard. Like everything else its all about preference.

86 lt250r, 88 lt250r and 01 300ex/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't me to piss you off AIRBORNE,
but to be staightup you hammer honda fan's at this site about being "honda freaks". then turn around and be so onesided when someone asks a question about a yamaha.if anybody is a "quad freak" it is you and your yamaha. every post i read you talk [censored] about the 400ex i know it ain't no banshee but damn it is a bad bike, and comparing it to a 660cc five vavle is sad. sorry if i pissed you off not meaning to start anything, don't mean to be against anybody but i just wanted to say that.

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I remember from back in my quad days was that the '87 and later LT250s were much better in both the chassis and the engine department. Seems to me that both Honda and Suzuki could sell a ton of new 250r and quadracers if they would just make them. Probably wouldn't have to update them much either, I sure wish I had a stock '86 or '87 Honda 250r now...

Anyway, clean used quads are not easy to come by around here [northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin] as most have been raceds or they want way too much for them. You wouldn't want to deliver one of your LT's eh? :)

In your opinion, how does the 300EX compare to your '88 LT250r in terms of chassis/handling? I know the power won't be the same, but that can be somewhat remedied with a bit of tuning over time.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
quads must be cheaper up here...thats good to know!!

Large balls...the replacement for displacement/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
-VVickedVVarrior-

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't honestly compare the two quads. On the 88 lt250r it was raced hard and had changes made to it like a twist throttle, Turner pipe and a Keihin carb and on the top end of the engine it says Varner. We had to replace the rear hubs because they were almost smooth inside along with having a few spots welded on the frame. The poor thing was beat. My 300ex is stock and the only change was taking off the stock air filter and putting a Uni filter in its place. I have a blast on the trails around my house and some jumps behind a plant nursery not far from me. The 86 is still pretty much stock and it runs like its @$$ is on fire but that's a twostroke. When I can get my stupid scanner working I'll post a picture of my son on the 86, for only riding 6 months he's really good and he's only 10./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

86 lt250r, 88 lt250r and 01 300ex/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
bowtie....I have never strayed from the fact that I LOVE YAMAHA....but I also have pointed people towards other machines. I want to know why I bash a honda for a reason and I get 3 or 4 people jump my ****t....but they can talk up the honda and if i say anything i get jumped....

I like yamaha...I used to like honda....and even before that i liked Suzuki...I have my reasons for it and have made them known...as far as the 400EX....everyone manages to state how it is comperable to a banshee....well..I have WATCHED over and over and participated in the banshee washing the 400EX in trails and MX tracks and down the roads head to head...

The 400EX is a decent machine but it also is NOT one that I would own...because it simply is not in my eyes what it is built up to be...I am growing ever tired of people gettin all up on me because I push what I feel is a great manufacturer....bowtie, ya didnt piss me off...I am just gettin real tired of this being me against the honda fans....its gettin really stinkin old. I will state my opinions...if people dont like them...then dont listen to them...ya get it? The 400EX is a DECENT bike...I do not think it is all that and I do NOT feel it is worth all the hype it got...

I break more skin and knuckles on them stupid ass 400EX's then I have with my banshee that I bought from some nimrod that didnt know how to mod the bike properly.
As far as comparing it to the raptor...well...comparing a 400 to a 350..is that fair?? nope....
the 400EX is not going to compare to a 350 twin 2 stroke either....maybe the advertising people for Honda should have thought about that BEFORE they started saying it was the replacement for the 250r....

Bowtie, the simple fact...I LIKE YAMAHA...and Honda is OK....

I hope this helps...sheeeesh....

AirBorn!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 250r and the 400EX perform almost identically. Everyone has their own opinion on whether they want a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke but that fact still remains that they run about neck and neck. I don't care which you like better.

I will be the first to admit that the Banshee will beat my 400EX in any form of a drag race, but I would challenge anyone in the idea that a Banshee could take my bike on the track or trails. My buddy rides a 2001 Banshee and he is always left behind in the trails, plain and simple. The bike just doesn't have the chasis needed to compete in the trails. A good rider can even things up a little but with equal riders, the 400EX will smoke the Banshee on trails.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well airborne glad we got that striaght. aight err thing is cool.

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane 270 Compucam,dual exhaust w/ 40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, k&n, headers,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amazing how no matter what forum you're on,no matter what hobby or item you discuss, there's always brand bashing going on....or the accusation of it anyway. I work on Fords for a living and hear it all the time, F ound O n R oad D ead, you know. It all comes down to the type of riding you want to do now, and in the near future. I traded in my y2k Honda 400ex on my Raptor. I loved the 400, but wanted more power than all that aftermarket crap was getting me. Hence, the Raptor. All these bikes are made pretty well, with a few Friday or Monday built bikes being the exception. If you ride trails mostly, consider a bike like the 400 or the warrior. If you ride the dunes, think two stroke! I dont care what you do to a Raptor or Ds650, a Banshee with good exhaust,reeds,jetting, will whip it. The same goes for a 250R or Lt250/500. Spend a butt-load of cash on most any sport quad and you will go fast, how much do you want to spend? Let's get back to discussion and assistance, and leave the brand bashing to the children. Sermon over.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.