Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,102 Posts
spider gears are cheaper, but you better also count on a carrier while your at it. one , if you weld spider gears together, you can't get them out. two, to make a weld you can't break, you have to weld them to the carrier to. yes it can be done, if the person thats doing the welding knows what he is doing (me). i have done this proceedure on countless axles from a D30-D70/14bolt, never has the weld broke. as a matter of fact my jeep has just the side gears welded to the carrier (theres no idler gears in it) having the rear welded is not that bad, especially on a long wheelbase vehicle, such as the J/C, as long as you don't ever plan to put a heavy load behind it. and that goes for a locker to, becouse it will lock up around a corner under loaded conditions. where a locker is handy is in the front, where being able to turn is nice. something i've pondered also, witch i'm planning to do, is to put a set of auto hubs on a welded axle(front). it should act like a locker. i'll post something to let you all know how it goes.

toad
3-72' commando wagons
72' half-cab
01' f-250 4x4, super cab, longbed, V-10
artic cat 300 4x4
01' kawasaki KLX 300R

· Registered
2,102 Posts
when making a miller locker, its best to use a big(250amp) mig welder. no mess,no fuss, less heat, and is more forgiving in a not-so-clean area. i know not everybody has access to such equipment, but just a tip.
iv'e also heard alot of people express there fears about getting the bearings to hot. the major concern here is cleanliness. dirt and debris will eat a bearing quicker then anything, the heat, i would'nt be to worried about.

toad
3-72' commando wagons
72' half-cab
artic cat 300 4x4
01' kawasaki KLX 300R

· Registered
2,102 Posts
iv'e never taken the carrier out, unless i was doing a gear change. the bottom line here is, if you drive more than you 4-wheel you'll hate it. if you 4-wheel more than pave ride, you'll wonder how you went anywhere before, and you will be looking to do the front!

toad
3-72' commando wagons
72' half-cab
artic cat 300 4x4
01' kawasaki KLX 300R

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.