Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,398 Posts
The difference between welding the gears and putting a spool in is you can take the spool out, but you're stuck with the welded spider gears. The difference between a mini spool and a full spool is that the full spool replaces the diff carrier while a mini spool replaces the spider gears and is usu. cheaper.

Just so my post isn't completely redundant to what's been said up above, a spool is more predictable than an "automatic" locker. You know what it's going to do when you turn a corner. A friend of mine has one in the rear of his Toyota and it handles pretty good on the street. You just have to know what to expect in handling differences and drive accordingly. A spool doesn't let go around the corner, while a locker will and can make staying in your own lane very interesting.

Some of the Pirates were in on the Rubicon test of the Ox Locker and said that it performed very well.

Joel F.
Marquette, Michigan
Project No-Bucks
'68 Jeepster Commando
'79 Scout Traveler

· Registered
3,398 Posts
But...all the trouble of welding then getting the mess out. Besides, a mini spool (I know, not for a D44) doesn't require setup and all that and is fairly cheap (cheaper than the spider gears and carrier and getting it set up). /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Joel F.
Marquette, Michigan
Project No-Bucks
'68 Jeepster Commando
'79 Scout Traveler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.