Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the article on installing a spool for street use. They had a locker in their dana 35 and noticed every time they shifted gears the jeep would jump around. Sounds kinda crazy but I also noticed that my yj does the same thing when it shifts up or down in gears with an automatic. I've also got a lock-rite in my dana 60. Spools aren't very expensive less than $200. Has anyone had any experience with a spool on the street???? Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know what you mean about lockers, the Detroit Locker I've had in the rear of my CJ7 for about a month has taken some getting used to, behavior is a little strange at times. But, a spool on the street? You will go thru tires pretty quick. I had a friend when I lived in Safford, AZ that was going to put a spool in the rear of his truck, but he was going to put a locking hub on one side. I don't think he ever put his idea into reality, but that may be the way to go. Unlock the one side when you are on the street, lock it in for wheeling.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know a few people with lockers in the rear of jeeps and toyotas and one guy running a spool in his '79 ford F-100 all with 33" mud tires. the ford had accelerated tire wear but was not horibly worse then others with lockers. much of the wear could be atributed to the 6000 pound vehicle weight and HEALTHY 351 road manners with the spool are great, very comparable to a locker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have part time four wheel drive , its ok to use a spool in the front, because your axle shafts won't be turning in 2 wheel drive, but the rear is a different story.....it takes some getting used to and you will see increased tire wear and it sucks on snow/ice. It all depends on how much road travel your rig is going to see.

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not compare the road manners of a locker such as a Detroit to that of a spool. Corners are the place where the behavior
is totally different. A locker will unlock one wheel in a corner, then as you straighten out it locks back up, or if you suddenly give
it gas in the corner it will lock up. This has a tendency to want to change the direction of the vehicle, kind of disturbing if you are
not prepared for it or used to it. Also, when a locker does decide to lock back up after coming out of a corner, it momentarily will
give you a little burst ot one side. I've lived with a Detroit Locker in the rear of my CJ7 for a month now, love the traction off road,
but it really does take some getting used to on the street. One other strange characteristic of a locker is if you lug the engine,
expect a possible strange reaction of unlocking and locking. Like I said before, the one huge advantage of a locker is less tire wear,
but comaparing an automatic locker to a spool is like comparing apples and oranges.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will e-mail 4 wheel and off road and see if they will test their spool on snow and ice and see how it reacts. Not really concerned too much with increased tire wear as long as its not excessive. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.