Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how feasible it would be to run a spool in the rearend with a full-floater kit complete with hubs so that you could unlock one side while cruising around town? How would this compare to the differentiation of an open carrier? Isn't one of the selling points of a full-floater the ability to drive out on one axle?

G

·
I posted this very idea a couple months ago. A guy I know in AZ with a Chevy PU was going to do just that. In theory it sounds like a very good idea.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

· Registered
725 Posts
When I tow my CJ I remove the rear drive shaft. I have my frontend welded so to hook up the tow bar I just lock one hub; you would'nt beleve how hard it tries to pull the wheel out of your hand. Driving around town you are going to be putting all the torque and weight of your Jeep through one $40 part that was not make for that kind of stress.

Just my .02

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

· Registered
4,757 Posts
i think you would have great difficulty with torque steer.. i noticed that when i put 4.56 gears and a detroit in my cj-7 that when i really get on it, 2 things happen
1...the front wheels come off the ground
2...the torque steer drifts me into oncomming traffic
you might be able to get used to it if it allways pulls the same way, but i think you would also experience increased tire wear on the locked in tire...you could alternate though...if you want to see whats t's like, weld an old open carrier and give it a shot.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.