Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are yall opinions on putting spools in front axles? I'm not even sure one is available for my dana 30. If not what is the best locker for front axles?

·
Registered
840 Posts
spool in the front is great if all ya want to do is go in a straight line it would be harder than hickory to steer go with a lock rite or a powertrax soft locker

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Why not spool(or weld) it and just use hubs to defeat the hard steering effects on the road? /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif It won't make a rats arse offroad (unless your a rock crawler). It's really pretty simple.

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on running a spool in the front also, but after talking to a few different friends and being advised against it as well has having the guys from Randy's Ring and Pinion tell me it was a bad idea I opted for the Lockrite. All of this stuff came yesterday from Randy's. Top notch stuff and well packaged can wait to get it in.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My CJ5 had a lockrite and it was great, a buddy I wheel with has a pretty much identical setup except his is welded in the front. When we are out wheeling we do three point turns in all the same places. If a locker is locked you have the same turning radius as a spool or welded.

pbm

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
"what is the reasoning for not using a licoln locked front with appropriate use of hubs?"

convenience. not having to take the seatbelt off, unlock a hub, get in, put on seatbelt, take off seatbelt, lock hub, get in, put on seatbelt... just turn the wheel and let the locker unlock as you turn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A twin stick will help a bunch with a spool up front, or for that matter with a locker up front on slickrock. Where we wheel it is all slickrock, and turning all locked up is a real b*tch. I'm going to make a twinstick one of these days using an extra shifter, but you can buy one for a little over a hundred dollars. The other expensive alternative is an air locker.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I guess I will go with the lockrite. I am building my jeep for rocks and i dont want to have to get out anymore than i have to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had a buddy with a welded front and i was running a detroit in the front of my old dana44 and he definately couldn't turn as well as i could. he had a real problem with it na dthat is why i don't recomend it. weld the rear and spend the $$$ and get a full detroit for the front. they are bullet proof.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts