Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to install the speedo cluster in my 76 CJ-7. I unplugged the wires one by one (as not
to get them confused), and then installed them onto the new speedo cluster that I
purchased. After installation of the new wires and lights onto the new speedo I decided to
untangle the wires to make a more neat and tidy area behind the dash. I then went to try it
out and the damn thing is all kind of messed up. It does not work properly anymore. Now
the high beam light stays on all the time, the blinkers are both screwed up. The left one
stayed on the whole time and then the right one wouldn't work. I then tried to fix this by
wiggling the wires a little bit. That helped some. Now, without changing the position of any
of the wires, the left and right blinkers are switched. At any rate the only thing that I noticed
isn't working properly are the blinkers and the damn high beam lights. I think their may be a
short in them b/c the lights want to stay on all of the time and when you wiggle the wires the
bulbs turn off like they are supposed to when not in use. I was wondering if by unraveling
the wires I might have inadvertently changed something that made the lights think they
should be on. I need to fix this SOON, TOMORROW, PLEASE HHEEELLPPPPP. This
dang jeep is driving me mad. I have to fix this tomorrow!!!!!! The problems are the left
and right blinker and the high beam are staying on constantly (with the ignition key turned to
the first setting), and then they will work if I hold the wire coming from them at just the right
angle and tension. Also the left and right blinkers are switched around somehow and it is
not due to owner error. Also the high beam indicator light wants to flicker with the turn
signal lights. I am frustrated someone please help!!!!!!!!! Mail me direct to my house b/c I
only receive the SWB list whenever there are multiple entries. [email protected]

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Sounds like a grounding problem to me. If the entire cluster is not picking up a decent (-) the lamps will act like that. What is hapening is that the gauge current is backfeeding through the other lamps because it has no better ground to go to.. Get a wire with nice ring terminal and throw it under a mounting screw, and to a good ground and see if that helps. By the way, Jeeps are NOTORIOUS for losing the grounds, and if you're smart; and my moongys /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giftell me that you certainly are; you will take the time to ground all three of your Jeeps......you know the ones, the CHASSIS, the ENGINE/TRANNY GROUP, and the TUB(including the front fenders). You will be AMAZED at how much better everything will work; headlights brighter, gas gauge accurate, heater motor up to speed,.....well, you get the idea./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.