Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my hands on a new (used,that is) speedo cable for my '70 Commando. The cable turns easily by hand, no binding or catching or anything. The outside of the cable is intact with no cracks and just a little rust on the outside of the fittings. Is there anything I should do before I install it, as far as lubing it goes? Would squirting a bunch of WD40 into the ends be OK, or should I just leave well enough alone? Along the same lines, I have a heater control cable that is stuck, is there some way to soak it in solvent or something to free it? It's not bent or kinked or anything like that. Thanks for any tips.

-John
Oregon

· Registered
10,738 Posts
WD 40 won't last but a few days, it's just kerosene and perfume. It's a great example of marketing techniques for something made to sell, not to use.

Lube the cable with speedo lube, available at parts houses $1? Or you can use light graphite grease. Pull the core out, rub it down with the grease and slide it back in.
If the core had any frayed spots, replace it, just the core. Parts stores' HELP line has replacements.

The heater contols - try using a good penetrating oil, like PB Blaster if you can find it. Liquid Wrench second choice.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich-

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. You're a godsend for us shadetree/carport, amateur mechanic types. Have a great day.

-John

G

·
RRich you are certainly a valuable asset to the club. Every time I see your name on a post I make it a point to read it. I had the same question about the speedometer cable and I have for years suspected that WD40 was garbage. Thanks for the good comments you have provided and keep on posting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.