Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i've got an '89 std. cab silverado. 2 years ago, i had a 6 disk changer put in behind the seat. last year, i had an mtx amp and 2 10 inch mtx subs put in (still with the stock radio). now i want to add 2 speakers in boxes with extra wire so i can pull them out when we go camping. does anybody have any ideas of what i can do, and if so, how hard would it be? thanks

hailey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if i were you, i would splice into the speaker wire running to the 4x6s in the posts (right next to your head). you could cut the wire right at the bottom of the trim panel at the floor and just put in a male and female connection (go to radio shack or hardware store and you can find a little plug to use) and you can have it hanging out the bottom of the plastic trim panel. you would never even see it, but then when you wanted to used these extra speakers, just unplug the 4x6s and plug in your extra speakers. ps - for extras i would just get some 6x9s in 2 of those little boxes you can buy for like $10 at walmart. this way, you wouldnt even have to keep the speakers in there all the time if you didnt want

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JBL used to make a monitor speaker called a PROIII (3) it was $99 each and about 6x5" box. They sounded great and could be mounted on the rear wall pointing up when in truck and pulled of the quick release brackett and set outside when needed. Could be run off of your amp. Circuit city had them. Radio shack has a simular speaker on sale it is $49 each but the handling power is half of jbl's. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where on the amp would i run the speakers from? there are some male prongs on the side that say high output (or something like that). could i run the wires from there to the speakers?

hailey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, MTX? Doesn't it have 4 screws or spring clips that the subs are plugged into ? You will need to parallel hook up the second set of speakers. This will make the amp run hotter but overall will be louder. The other concern is wheather the amp is only putting out low frequency to the subs, or do the subs have a crossover on thespeaker. Best thing is to tool into the circuit city or equivalent and let them show you. They will point to where they go for free. They will also tell you about how the amp is set up. It is hard to tell what you have and how it is set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts