Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what plugs you guys were running I've got a MSD cap and TFI coil for Teamrush's upgrade on order from summit and I'm heading to Napa tomorrow to get the plug wires, TFI conector and some new plugs just wondering what you guys suggest/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got a set of plugs for my motor with out telling the parts guy any thing was different and opened the gap to .045 use any brand you like good luck and enjoy the difference.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
That is really good advice!!
Order the plug type that is supposed to go to your Jeep! This is important!
If you go to a plug for a different vehicle, it may be too big or too small, or have the wrong sealing shoulder, or stick too far into the combustion chamber, ect, ect...

Use what ever brand name you are comfortable with.
If your plugs look fouled after a few thousand miles, go to the plug store and tell the guy you want one heat range hotter plug set. (Repeat if necessary)

Open the gap to about 0.045", and use some Never Seize on the threads.

Older engines have a tendency to need a little hotter plug as they get older.
Lost compression, deposits in the combustion chamber and leaking or weak rings may help foul plugs, and one or two heat ranges hotter plug may help relieve those symptoms.

If your plugs are chalk white, have burnt chunks out of the electrodes, have cracked porcelain around the center electrode, or have tiny purple, tan or black balls on them,
YOU HAVE A REAL LEAN OR DETONATION PROBLEM!
Have that looked into at once!

You are looking for a medium tan color on the center electrode porcelain.
About the color of caramel.
If the porcelain is white, TOO LEAN!
If the porcelain is black, too rich. (or too much oil in the combustion chamber from old oil rings)

If you show too lean or too rich at half throttle or wide open throttle, it's the main jetting.
If you show too lean or too rich from idle up to about 1,000 RPM, it's the idle mixture.

If you have a slightly rich or lean condition, and you have a sealed carb, or have emissions testing, you can use cooler or hotter plugs to fine tune the combustion process.
This goes for fuel injection also....

Later folks, hope this helped! Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should everyone open the gap to .045 or just the way hes got it set up?
thanks
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are talking about opening the plug gap after doing the ing upgrade that TeamRush has been so good in explaning to us. If you have not read all the threads yet do so. I have learned more about building an ingition system in the last two weeks than most people will learn in a life time. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
You think you guys learned a lot....
You should have seen the local backwoods E.T. drag strip after I was invited to spend a week with the local high school auto shop...

I'm sure mommy and daddy had no idea what junior was up to, just happy he wasn't doing drugs!

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.