Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
79 CJ 7,SOME TIMES JUST DIES,HARD TO RESTART,SEEMS TO BE IN THE IGNITION,CAN LET KEY SNAP AND IT WILL START SOME TIMES.DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE COLUMN??????????

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Nope.....the actual iggy nishen switch is rod-operated and resides near the base of the column. You can just replace that little sucker, without removing the column./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not necessary to replace the entire column, just the ignition switch.
4WD Hardware (800-333-5535) has what you need. Part #8128889 for non-tilt
wheel and #8128890 for tilt wheel. $10.99 for either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem a couple of months back. Look under the hood and trace your ignit wires, I found that someone had been over zealous when crimping wires and had severed 3/4 of the strands on the Hot (right in front of the fuse block). This made it very difficult to start (too much load on too few wires) and it would cut out on me going down the road.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.