Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you guys, I have everything hooked up but when I go to turn the key the fuel pump comes on but then the whole electrical system shuts it's self down after about 3 seconds. In order to get anything to work I have to disconnect the battery cables to reset the system. Any one have any ideas on this? I am going to try posting to the Howell group as well. I am working on it today and I know this group is a quick reply.

Thanks guys,

Dave
http://members.home.com/dioxide

98 Cherokee Sport
89 YJ Laredo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The fuel pump only comes on for 3 seconds when you put the key on to start with. There should be an oil pressure switch to power the pump after it is running. If you cycle the key off then on does it run for 3 seconds more? You can by-pass the oil pressure switch, but I wouldn't recommend it. How about your check engine light, does it stay on?

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you computer is not getting voltage at all times.

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not actually have the check light hooked up. What do I need as far as a light will an LED work or do I need a socket light? When I turn the key off after it turns the trucks power off, I have to unplug then reconnect the battery or it will not even start the fuel pump for the 3 seconds. If I only turn the key to the run position I can turn it on the fuel pump runs 3 seconds. If I then turn it off then on again the pump runs 3 seconds. If I try to start it the system shuts down.

98 Cherokee Sport
89 YJ Laredo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a relay over heating or your switched power is only on with the key and not when cranking.

Sorry I can't help more than that,

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.