Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOA With Scout 44\'s On A CJ

Hey Guys,

I am looking for ideas on how to mount my Front Scout 44 into my CJ. I would like to run these axles without cutting them down (so i will have easy to find trail spares).
I am trying to avoid moving the springs outside of the frame and looking for ideas of what others have done. Any ideas? Should i look for another Dana44? Is there another one that is more easily adapted and roughly the same size.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://206.190.221.134/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: SOA With Scout 44\'s On A CJ

kevin
I did some research on this. Your options are limited probably the best thing to do is have the front cut down. If you think you are gong to brake somthing in the front end what do you think you are going to break? If you are carring a spare axle shaft with you to the trails than? I know of I guy in the boston area who was going to cut down a scout axle for me and also have an axle shaft resplined. Remeber some how u are going to have to fix the front end of a scout so it will have a few degrees in so it will stear properly. he also would correct that! The price was not bad.
Good luck!
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Kevin,

Did you get my message?
Here's my suggestion to your question "should I look for another Dana44", go with a
full width wagoneer and mount the shackle and spring hangers outside the frame.
After you use Cj outers it should be a total width of 58" like the rear scout.
There are a ton off waggy's in the yards I've seen. And another cool thing is that you
could use waggy steering linkage which is much more stout than CJ stuff and waggy
pitman arm, you'll probably have to shorten the drag link though.
If you want to see mine I going to Chu's house Wed night.

Lee

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Andy,

Who is shortening your axle and resplining it? I looked for months until I found someone
to do it and had to send my shaft to Moser because I didn't think anyone local resplined.
Also are you going SUA with the scout front or SOA?

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Lee
I bought a dana 44 rear off of a jeep nut! Boy did he know his stuff! I was ready to give up on the dana 44 front until i saw his front end! it was a scout 44 with the long shaft shortened and the tube cut down. also the perches were mounted acordingly to the amount of lift you will be running! he mentioned one thing about curries axles, that his were setup a little better because he said currie takes the end of a d30 or d44 and but welds it to the d44.(takes out the slack of the axle were he has the tub cut down. Also he has axle shafts already cut down so he only needs the axle for about a weeks time! and wants 300 bucks I did not think that was a bad price considering what one axle shaft cost to be cut and resplined. he lives in lunnberg? some where near there! this would be for a sua. The only thing is a think my friend sold his scout cause i said i really was not intrested in it! damn it! the price was right but i really could not use it for a beater as it has to be regesitered to get to trails! i am hoping i can still get it! SOB it even had 4.10s but i would like to run 4.56 anyways, lee how fast can u drive on the highway with 4.56 (assuming that i thought u had 4.56) and 33s with out taking out the motor!
this is getting a little of topic but the yj tub is almost ready to go on!
later
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Andy,

I think the scout front is a great swap sua. If you talking about who I think you are
then definately have them do the work because I think he has done a ton of scout
fronts in CJs. I would give up on it because there are a bunch scouts in the yards
I've seen and they usually want 200 for either a front or rear. What's the track width
of your rear 44? Also for you info I had my axle narrowed for $135 and resplined
for about $60 from Moser. However the $300 may include a complete frontend
with CJ knuckles for stock linkage which makes the swap easier.

4.56 gears are a little to low IMO for 33's but my tires are really only 32" diameter.
I'm really not sure how fast I'm going because the spedo is so off but I figure I can
go 70 mph at 2700-2800 rpm. I just got my 35" boggers and the 258 is really having
trouble with them so far. They are a true 35" so it makes a big difference AFA size.
Haven't really done many highway miles yet though.

Let us know how the YJ tub swap goes, that should be next years project for me.

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

lee
my rear axle is a 56 inches or 55 inches it is out of a international 800, so it is a little narrow than the scout, also i just talk to my friend with the scout and the guy bought the scout for the motor and tranny so i might still end up with the axles!! yeapie!! as far as the 4.56 with 33 is only temporarly i am going to run 35s but i have my hands full with the tub swap, even though i am getting alot of help from my friend it takes alot of work and patience! considering that there was a whole in the side of it but, it cant even compare to my complettly rotted out cj and it will not even be noticable once it is done! if i have the yj swap on and almost done by summer i will be happy and have gears and it soon after i will be happy! i cant wait to be back on the trail!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.