Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing a SOA suspension how do you keep the caster angle the same as spring under. Also when swapping in different axles (Dana 60 front 14 bolt rear) than stock how do you decide the where to mount the spring perches; besides the same width as the stock axle. The rear axle seems fairly easy, but any advice or things to look out for on the front axle would be appreciated. Thanks

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I can help you out...but only a little...I am in the middle of doing an SOA on my 89 Wrangler right now and you asked how to decide where to put the spring perches? Well what I did was order some adjustable ones from Lou Fegers Racing for the rear axle so I can play around with them a bit before permanently welding them to the axle. This way I can adjust pinion angle and anything else that may cause problems. As far as the front axle goes...hmmm...there is just so many things to consider, I would first find out what the stock caster angle is of your donor axle. Then when you go SOA I have heard that anywhere from 6-11 degrees is supposed to be good. Like I said I haven't done this but I have done a TON of research and in about a month or so I am tearing my Jeep apart. If you aren't doing your swap anytime soon I will let you know how mine goes and what problems I ran into.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as caster is concerned 6deg is about all i would shoot for. but note that the front pinion angle will suffer. so you will need to find a compromise that will work for you. i usually let the pinion angle suffer a little for road handling myself(i dont drive at any speed above 35 with the hubs locked. if they are locked it usually means that conditions are bad enough that i shouldnt be driving that fast.) also note that your pinion angle increase when you hit a bump with a stock shackle arrangement. this should be taken into consideration as well.

dan
build 'em don't buy 'em
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to keep the front pinion angle as small as possible, but doesn't the angle the driveshaft dictate the caster. Doesn't the rear axle has to be setup similarly relative to the angle, unless going with a CV. I'm really debateing if a SOA is worth the trouble, but I want to run 38 inch tires if possible.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
872 Posts
I believe a SOA is will worth it. As a general rule of thumb, the pinion
angles should be the same as the Tcase angle. I did mine by keeping the
top purches exactly even with the original bottom purches. Don't know if
thats the best way but it workes great. If your using CV joints then the
pinion should be pointed toward the Tcase output.

C-Ya.....................kh

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention. Axle shims can be used to set the caster, but the
best way is to have the axle shafts rotated to the proper angle. This is
really only needed if you cannot get the pinion angle and caster set.

C-Ya.....................kh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts