Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picture in attachment.

I've been building this prototype and doing some experimenting with super light designs (200 lbs.) My designs are way a head of what I can afford to build. I know how to make these things lean into corners. I can do front breaks and my new suspention you won't even believe.I've also designed a low emissions two stroke without fuel injection. The design in the picture is from '97. I've come to the conclusion I need a sponsor to do it right.. Does anyone know how I could go about this?Or where I might post my snow toy to get some attention?

Russ

Email me at [email protected]

Attachments

· Registered
539 Posts
That is awesome. How do you do front brakes? I can't even picture how you would do that. Do you have any pics or drawings of the front brake setup.

My friend put polaris style IFS on a 78' Yamaha Enticer. And he also put, I think, a polaris liquid cooled 440 twin in it to. This thing goes like mad. You can steer it by using the throttle. The ski stance is about 12 inches wider than a normal polaris indy. It is very stable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather not give out my designs just yet.Although it seems obvious to me, apparently no one else has thought of it yet. Gotta keep a few aces up my sleeve :)

· Registered
1,007 Posts
That thing looks cool, like a super sno scoot. I want one. If I where you, I'd send some pictures,and a resume to one of the big factories. With work like that you obviously have great building and designing talents. Polaris could use someone like you for a new age suspension and chassis design like skidoo did with the rev. How hard was it to adapt the kx 500 motor to the chassis, and how hard was it to hook it up with a centrifical clutch? Looks like you have the size perfect, gotta put a seat on there though for them hard landings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks! This may be my only cridentials. I'm a sculptor by day. I don't really want a job, I just want to build whats in my head, with someone else picking up the tab. I'm so far ahead of the big 4 it's frustrating. They are heading in the right direction though. They are finally putting the engine down in the frame instead of on top of it, and shaving their many pounds. As for the seat and hood, I can't build them until I change the suspention to let me bank into the corners like a bike... It is hard to cut into a working toy with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Hard landings are not a problem. I set this up with 8" of ground clearance, and a foot of travel - two feet at the tail. THe rear shock came off my dirtbike so I really have more suspention than nerve. The motormounts were no problem, and the centrifical clutch was easy. I didn't use one. I thought it might be fun to bang gears on snow... it is!

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Guess you wouldn't want to show any close up pic's of that sled then? I'd like to see the way you have the chain and, how you have it routed to drive the track. Banging gears would be fun on a machine like that. A developement r/d job is what your describing to a T. And no one is going to have more money for you to throw around then one of the big 4. Your idea's could be brought to life easier, and make you a very rich man. Show them the light, take a shot give em a call or a write, send them some photo's.

And get me a job there after you get in, lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure I can show close ups. There's nothing on this sled that hasn't already been thought of, except maybe the rear suspention but I'm way beyond this set up anyway. I'll try and shoot some pictures tomorrow and get them up. Is there anyway to make them come up in the post instead of an attatchment?

· Registered
1,007 Posts
For the picture's pm portgrinder. He know's how to do that I don't. Pluss he's an engineering student, would probrably like to see this project. Might I suggest a seat like a yamaha wave blaster jet ski, to be in an up right position for shifting, sure you probrably have something like that in the works. How much did you have to gear it down? And what do you estimate for the top speed? Anywhere near 60?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trying to delete that entire post of the "drive system" I wanted to put more pictures up but I didn't want to hog the whole front page of the message board.

· Registered
539 Posts
You can post more pictures on this one. Just reply and put "Another" or "one more" or Check out this one" etc, and post a pic. I thought of a way you might do the front brakes. Is it with variable solinoids with pins on the bottom that go threw the skies, and the harder you apply the brakes the farther they go into the snow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good start- quite similar to where I started out in my thinking, now picture a 4 inch branch frozen just under the surface then nail your brakes at 30 mph... hope those pins aren't too strong.

There may be several good ways to do front brakes. I just can't believe they leave out something that important- especially for the racers. On top of that they make them hang off the sides of there sleds like a side car monkeys to get around a corner.

I started building foot boards for mine that would make this easier when I realized I was addressing the symptoms instead of the problem.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
I'll check out the sight.

No biggie protobuilder, gives us something to see. Keep on posting. Yeah I wish I got to ride in powder too, would have to buy a long track model though. Right now I'm lucky if I get to ride on snow period.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey 96Warrior sorry about leaving your words hanging like that, I was trying to get rid of the whole thing and didn't know it would turn out that way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got to ride powder last weekend- what a blast! Like riding a jet ski in the woods- almost got stuck once, I was going up hill with the end of my tunnel at surface level. I get whitewashed if I drop into a hollow too fast with no bellypan.
I couldn't get to your website but I would appreciate any help I can get. Here's how it is.. I'm not willing to relocate to take an R&D job. I've built a house here in Vermont and life is good. I'm self employed as a sculptor/stone carver. My main client is master stone carver Jerry Williams www.barresculpture.com Many of the projects on the web site were carved in whole or in part by me. Check it out, you won't be dissapointed. I have a passion for off-road performance toys, as you may have guessed this isn't my first prototype. Snowmobiles are just my latest since I moved here and rode one. I have focused on light weight, strength and preformance since I was a kid. I don't have an engeineering degree, but what I do have can't be taught. I'm an idea man, an inventor. This doesn't mean I can't design circles around many engineers, it just means I have to prove it part by part instead of by paper. I know my ideas are good because some of them turn up on TV years later and someone makes millions. Patents are not worth beans if you can't afford to defend them.
What I want to do now is build and design full time right here and get paid for it. I know that is a tall order but really quite modest compared to the vast sums of money at stake. The question is how do I get there from here. Sometimes it's all in who you know.
I'm also persuing a sponsor for my dirtboard- something I invented 15 years ago. I built a rough prototype and then figured out how to do it right. Recently I discovered that Powerboarding is now a sport gaining momentum and that my old board -at 23 lbs- is cutting edge, and the one in my head is off the chart. Keeping with the theme of this message board I also designed a snow version, but the only one I have built and have pictures of is for dirt I doubt if there is a catagory for it anyway..... see next post for pics

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.