Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just working on getting my jeep prepared for winter and other than finding some new floor plugs and drilling more up front :). Anyway I was wondering how I can expect my 80 CJ5, with the Dana 300 to behave in snow with 4wd engaged. I'm just wondering when I should be running 2wd and when I should drop it to 4, perhaps throwing some sand bags in the rear for more weight and just incase I get stuck is a good idea too.
Also does anyone have any details or links to adding a moderately secure rear storage area to a non tailgate cj5? I"m thinking about bolting down some plywood depening on what sheetmetal is going to cost.
Thanks as always
john
www.cyber-byte.com <---------- has pics of my jeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hi John...strange that you should ask. We gave up the notion entirely that we would be able to drive in our mountainous terrain in snow and ice with regular FWD. Based on our experience with our Select-Trac ZJ, the ONLY way to go is all-wheels....all unlocked. That is with a center differential. If I try driving with the ZJ center differential locked....which approximates regular FWD.....it is scary. It wants to go straight on the corners, and switch ends on the straights. We have NO level ground up here. Because of what we learned with the ZJ, we chose a CJ Quadra-Trac for our SNOJEEP, and even at that, we disabled the stickyclutch that was in the center differential to get totally free, all-wheel drive. There is an 18" X 18" X 36" box in Northern Tool & Equipment Co catalog for 154.99 (1-800-533-5545) that we are going to use in our CJ. Of all the boxes, that seems to be the best for our application. We will be mounting it lengthwise, however, on the LH side, leaving room for a single rear seat alongside, and rolling the box such that the opening is up. In CA there is no such thing as "reasonably secure". I parked my ZJ right in front of the new city center building in Oakland for 1-1/2 hrs and it got totally vandalized and ransacked. Security is taking someone with you to sit in your Jeep with his two buddies, Mr Smith and Mr Wesson./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't expect much out of your CJ5 whether in 2wd or 4wd. It's like driving a roller skate if it's slick. You should stick it in 4wd when you feel uncomfortable in 2wd. The most important thing for snow driving is to use your head. Don't get the attitude that because you have 4wd that you can go as fast as you want or go anywhere that you want. I was made to learn to drive in snow in a 2wd pickup so that I would know what the limits of the vehicle are and I get so disgusted with the yuppie idiots in their Explorers, Expeditions, and Lexus' that think they are invincible. I had a Lexus pass me (and all the other traffic) on Berthoud pass in a whiteout snowstorm on hardpack snow Sunday night and sure enough, five miles down the road he was in the ditch! I slowed down just enough so he could hear me give him a hearty "HA HA"! He thought that the F250 was going to tug him out of the ditch! Be slow and deliberate when you drive in slick conditions and you'll be fine. The sandbags are a good idea. They won't save you, but they definitely will help with rear wheel traction.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I totally agree with Snowtow and CJ Dave. Remember 4wd means "four wheel drive" and not "four wheel stop". Go Slow and Easy and use threshold braking method. Threshold braking is applying the brakes until you feel the wheels just starting to lock, then release them and apply them again and so on. (Sort of like what ABS does automatically.)Pumping the brakes is better than nothing but not as good as threshold or ABS. Use 4wd low range if you feel like you need it. Good Luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.