Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big K&N looks awfully lonely up atop the carb on my 304. I'm trying to decide how to protect it better. This winter, when my brother and I were out trimming trees around the field fencerows, he happened to juice his Chevy p/u and try to get home for lunch faster than my CJ could...when going through deep field snow, snow and moisture sprayed over the hood...it also sprayed underhood and hit the air filter. So as I think about how to better protect the filter a few things come to mind.
1. I'd like it to sniff cooler outside air instead of underhood air...
2. While I like the look of hood-scoops, the thought of a big scoop taking all that snow/rain/etc. blasting down the hood and feeding it to the air filter is unappealing.
3. I'd like something that looks better than the "bolt an old oil drain pan to the air filter" approach.
4. I really dig those ARB snorkels, but want to keep this cheap...and I'm not wild about drilling those honkin' holes in the side fender.
5. I probably will never be in water deeper than the carb...but wouldn't it be cool to think that I could if I wanted too???/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
6. This, like all projects, is best accomplished by doing it homemade...(well, maybe not all projects...)
7. I don't want to create any more restriction than is absolutely neccesary.
8. I do want to protect the engine/filter/etc.
9. Whatever I do, I don't want it to block access to the engine..and if it does block certain things (mixture screws, etc.) I want to be able to remove it quickly.

I'm sure someone older and wiser has already devised the answer to all of this. I thought I'd throw this one out and see what you all thought...

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have been thinking about making myself a snorkel. Jersey Jeeper has a good one that he has made up. I am thinking about going a different route. I have been eyeing the air intake for Izuzu Panel and Box trucks. They have the intakes behind the cab and i have seen a couple that would make a good snorkel. I just have to call around to the junk yards to get one, then the next thing is to think of how to connect a filter in series with it.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've always used the upside-down oil drain pan, so that would have been my suggestion. BUT, you could also route your fresh air in from the passenger compartment if you don't want to hack a hole in the hood or fender. We typically do that where the heater core used to be, but you probably still want to use that /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif!

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may resort to the old oil pan trick...but I'm not wild about sucking all my air up off of the top of a hot engine...

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been thinking about fabricating a "Cowl Induction" hood for my CJ. I'm thinking of cutting along the contour lines in the hood and inserting a little wedge of sheet metal to raise the existing "V" in the center of the hood up about 2-1/2"-3" at the back of the hood. I would also install a "floor" for this so I can seal around the air cleaner. The bracing on the bottom would also have to be repaired where I would have to cut through it so as not to make the hood flimsy.

The other option I have been thinking of was to route the air intake through the firewall and out both sides right in front of the windshield frame support. If I covered the holes in the body with a louver or some sort of grill off of some "high performance" newer vehicle I think I could make it functional and still look attractive. I could also remove the louvers and install snorkels when needed.

Just a couple of ideas I've been playing with.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.