Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I was going to post this to z50K2 on his private e-mail, but then I thought after seeing his setup: "This guy can think!...He'll be OK with me mentioning this." /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSo...here it is. The yellow engine is sniffing unfiltered air from the oil cap. Originally this connected to the air cleaner and like the chevys it had a useless little piece of gauze in there to filter out the big chunks, everything else went into the engine. When you go to the hot rod air cleaner like we had before the smog nazi's took their toll, you must provide a filter for the oil stack.....a REAL filter, not just wire and a brillo pad like some use./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif On my 350 Chevy in our 3/4 ton I made a separate filter using an air compresor element and mounted it to the firewall. The hose that lets air into the crankcase goes to that filter. For 275,ooo miles the inlet to the crankcase was filtered by that air filter. Maybe THAT'S why it went 275,000 and is STILL going. Well, anyway, it seemed worth mentioning. In the old days we had open breather caps like that one, but we did not have positive crankcase flow pulling in the dirty air as much as now.

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can use a regular spin on oil filter on the end of a hose.....attach the filter with a hose clamp to the firewall, fender, or engine. Be creative, and SHOW THE PHOTOS. Those were great! I have them in the ignition file of my Jeep technical manual./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.