Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is one that has got me worried. I started up my 77 CJ-7 and after I let it idle for 15 minutes to heat up the engine I started noticing smoke drifting out of the defroster vents (mainly the passenger side), and the windshield wiper access holes. I shut off the engine and looked everywhere I could think of to find cooked wiring of any sort but I had no luck. Is there anything inside the heater vents that might burn? Possibly there are leaves in there as this Jeep has sat for 7 years before rescuing. I'd like to nip this in the bud before I have an engine fire or something.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My guess is that there is some stray plant material sitting down there near the coils and they are cooking the heck out of it. You may have to bite the bullet and drop the heater down for a darn good cleaning, and at the same time upgrade the blower motor to a 1973 Blazer w/ A/C motor. Oh, and use Larry Van Every's defroster vent upgrade too. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is there any smell to it, like antfreeze? Could be steam from a small leak in the heater core. There's nothing hot enough in htere to actually burn anything, unless your blower motor is cooking.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I was wondering how long it would be before someone picked up on that./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The text was written by Larry but appeared as a part of jo-jo's site. Go to: http://http//members.tripod.com/jojojeep/Heatfix.htm There is also a new, improved defrosted vent advertised in JC Whitney's latest Jeep catalog. I haven't see it, but we are going to order one for the SNOJEEP we are building./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a heater core leak. If it smells like someone decided to pee on the campfire you can count on this being the problem.

80 CJ5, 52M38

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.