Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't want to jack Andy's post with this rant so here it goes. My wife ordered a smitty built xrc rear bumper for the jk. So I just want to say it looks good and feels solid but wow. Instructions were vague but figured it would be. They say if you are missing hardware contact us. Ok, so here is the complaint. The vague instructions tell what length of bolt and nut to use but when you are sorting through the hardware that I layed out first you find it looks like its all there when it turns out some was missing and has a lot of extra that wasn't needed at all. I had to source out four nuts and bolts because the ones that came with it were to short. Maybe I'm wrong but it shouldn't take over three hours to change a bumper. I would say a good hour and a half was spent trying to figure out if used the bolts in the wrong place or if I didn't get them. I'm thinking they were just the wrong bolts all together. I tell my wife this after I put it on and she says yah a lot of the reviews said that and just to wing it... Thanks for the heads up there lady... All good now. Like I said, looks good...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,504 Posts
That's a pain in the rear. In contrast I just got a new 3D printer from Prusa. The instructions were terrific, except that they were on line - no printed manual - so I had to take the laptop to the shop. But it was all good otherwise. Each step had its own little Zip Lock baggie with the fasteners for that step. There were around 40 baggies and EVERY ONE had exactly what it was supposed to have. The instructions listed the length of every screw, which was handy because there's not much difference between a 3x8mm and a 3x10mm, so the digital caliper was handy. And then there was another larger baggie with spares of everything, even the little magnets for the filament sensor. I had to get into it a couple of times, but only when I dropped something and couldn't find it right away. That's the way all DIY assembly projects should be done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,504 Posts
The first one I got drastically changed the way I work. I was designing a machine to handle rifle cartridge cases and had gone through four or five iterations of the main part, each of which took two solid days of turning cranks on the milling machine, plus a $60 piece of aluminum. With the printer I could make a change to the design in the afternoon, give it to the printer and have it ready to test the next morning, all for a couple of bucks. It took a bunch more changes but I finally got it perfected so that it never jams. The parts weren't perfect - +\- 0.005 or more, but plenty good enough to test.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my falken mt's in, now to find the energy to mount and balance them... Easier to find that energy when you are mounting a set for a pay day. Not so much when they are your own.. I'm trying to be productive, got the motor and trans in the mustang, now for all the little things and I can get it out of the way. I was going to do the trail blazer motor swap in the scrambler but had recently done some horse trading for a 1998 chevy 3500 service truck. Truck runs great but trans has some issues so I decided to find something newer. I'm like $400 into the truck and told my son to post it up and take the first $1500 he could get for it.it runs and drives and getting the will you take $900 for it so I said screw it. I'm using it to tote a 500 gallon water tank to fill my pool and when I'm done I'm pulling the motor and swapping it into the scrambler instead. Motor has a 130k miles on it so why not.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top