Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is off topic, but there is a lot of knowledge here so figured I would ask. I'm perfectly happy with my Glock 17, but have always wanted a good simple .357. Now that our idiot "Gov" Paris Glendening (what kind of candy-ass name is Paris anyway?) is really forcing the integrated gun mechanical safety lock issue, I've decided to get one before they all start coming with electrical-thumbprinting-triggerlocking-idiotproofing safety mechanisms. Problem: I had always figured I would get a S&W, but now that they've caved on the lawsuit issue, I'm sort of disgusted with them. The Ruger seems like a decent gun, but I don't have any experience with them. Are they good? Any other recommendations?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Buy the Ruger SP101 in whatever barrel length rings your chimes. Then get a Wolf 9 pound spring kit (very easy to install yourself) and a Hogue monogrip. You'll have one of the best carry guns available.

Ruger's products are hell for strong, reliable and good looking.

I usually pack a Ruger SP101 in .357 stoked with 125 grain SJHPs from Federal. Those will stop an attack with one shot over 95% of the time.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had both Ruger and Smith .357s, and the big difference is that the Ruger is more rugged while the Smith is more finished--triggers are smoother and overall fit and finish is better. Smiths are usually a bit more expensive, so you're paying for the hand fit. Both will shoot as well as you can hold them; I've not noticed an accuracy difference one way or the other with loads they like. The Smith is my favorite, but I also feel betrayed by their decision to cave in to the anti's trigger lock scheme. This is my last Smith for that reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you like the glock (a very good handgun) You could get along with a Ruger
very well.You will have to work your behind off to try to start to wear out
a Ruger. Over built the only word for it.
If you are into more traditional guns might sway you to the S&W. I just love the S&W moutain guns in 44 or 45 cal . My wife has a Mod 19 Me a dan wesson
my every day gun is a Ruger SA 44 mag loaded to a 45 colt level .had it for 27 yrs.
Never been broken only 65 to 75 % blue left.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its hard to beat a Ruger GP100 in stainless. Don't support S&W.
They let all U.S. gun owners down when they gave into klinton.
Gibby

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif About five years ago, Jeepchick bought me one of the new-at-that-time S&W model 640 revolver, 2" hammerless, five-shot, .357. I carry the 125 Gr that was mentioned above. I have always liked the hammerless design. In a desperate struggle, you can always get off a shot. Jeepchick carries a five shot Rossi rev in .38 SPL and will kill anyone who tries to "get at" her without a moment's hesitation. At work she shoots the Ruger mini 14 as the std correctional arm.

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I own several of each brand (S&W/Ruger) and what was said above is all true. DON'T support S&W. It's too bad because they made a fine gun. I have a 4" 686 (.357) and a 4" model 10 (.38 spl.). Both are fine firearms. My wifes only gun is a 2" Ruger SP101 in .357. She only shoots .38's in it, but the option for more power is there. My .44 Mag redhawk is going on 4000 rounds of both target and heavy hunting loads, and hasen't loosened up a bit!
For carry I'd buy the 2" SP101 in .357. For a duty size gun , go with a 4" GP100. Either gun will serve you well for many years!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CJDAVE, Where does your wife work if you don't mind me asking. Mini14, lawenforcement or gov. job? You might have said in a previous e-mail but I forgot. BTW, I am just now getting my g/f involved in shooting. I let her plink some cans one day with the 22 colt, a nice collectors item, and she is now addicted. When I bought a 12 gauge for the jeep, fits under the rear seat, she immediately wanted to go and fire it. Gave her some bird shot and let her have at a broken T.V. Her dad is a licensed FFL, has about 300 "toys", and is ecstatic that I got his little girl interested in shooting. I just settled for the 12 gauge in the jeep b/c it was the most knockdown I could get for Montana. If you have ever had to walk five miles in the pitch darkness right after bears have started coming out of hibernation, which has just started again, then you would understand the desire for a 12 gauge with all the tactical goodies. BTW, has anyone ever used any "flechette" rounds, or a round called the Dragons Breath. They are located at the following address . {url}http://www.mbmammo.com/products.html{url}
I liked the Dragons Breath but would be scared to fire it out of any gun I owned. Betcha it would get a bears attention though!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Owner of a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 barrel 44 mag. In a word,flawless .S&W? well if you hand load,dont ever use a max load worked
up in the Ruger in a S&W unless you want to blow the S&W up.You will never be sorry for buying a Ruger.The only drawback i have
saw in calibers,i did it,friends have done it too,we opted for a 357 first,within a year we all went to the 44,BTW if you run across
a older Ruger Blackhawk single action in 41 mag,its a good strong handgan as well.My cousin has had one for about 10 or more
years,still works great and it has shot a truck load of max handloads.In the 44 i use 180 grain JHP handloads for deer,drops them
well. P.S. and FYI if you dont know,NEVER buy a stainless barrel brush,use brass and a good bore cleaner that disolves lead fouling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is so horrible with what Smith & Wesson has done?? From what I understand they have merely agreed to make their handguns safer...what's the issue? You people act like an added safegaurd is going to bring the communist nation parachuting into our backyards. I love guns, and I respect the right to bear arms, but does that mean they can't be safe?? If you have ever seen a close friend lying face down in a pool of her own blood, with the back half of her skull sprayed against her father's bedroom wall, maybe you'd think differently. I applaud Smith and Wesson for having the guts to take a step against the flow.

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ruger 101 is an excellent weapon and would be my choice over the Smith. I am partial to Dan Wesson revolvers -strong, versatile and innovative design ( and very affordable). You can change the barrel and grips out in a matter of minutes, going from small grip/2.5" barrel personal carry weapon to a long barrel/target grip target/hunting weapon in minutes. The shrouded barrel design locks the barrel up front and rear. The cylinder lockup is in front of the cylinder (the only revolver that I know of with this design) which makes it possible for me to open the cylinder and eject the spent cartridges with the left hand while reaching for and inserting the speed loader with the right hand. Everyone has their own preference, and I would pick the Ruger as an everyday carry gun over the Smith or Colt, but Dan Wesson .357's and .44s have served me well since the early 70's. My $0.02.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is so horrible with what Smith & Wesson has done?? From what I understand they have merely agreed to make their handguns safer...what's the issue?
-------------------------------
The mass media is only reporting on the "safety" issues, the following is taken from the Gun Owners of America site and explains the provisions included in the agreement that the media isn't talking about.
--------------------------------------
The Clinton & Wesson commission will have the power of law to enforce gun control upon any gun dealer that sells S&W products and upon any gun owner that buys from such a dealer!!! This is European fascism at its best, and is much more draconian than what has been reported in the media. Consider just some of the highlights:

Restrictions On Individual Gun Owners

* Gun rationing: Any gun dealer that carries S&W products can NOT sell you two handguns on the same day... or during the same week!!! (No more than one handgun during a 14-day period.)
So let's get this straight: a total gun ban in England has neither stopped 3 million illegal guns from getting into criminal hands nor stopped their crime rate from exceeding ours. But somehow gun rationing here is going to keep criminals from getting guns.

* Mandatory gun owner registration: A S&W dealer will not be able to sell any of his guns at a gun show unless ALL of the sales at the show -- including private sales -- are run through a registration background check. Why does the Clinton administration want to know who every gun buyer is?

* Mandatory training requirements: You will not be able to buy a gun from a S&W dealer unless you have put your rights on hold for however long it takes to complete a certified training course. Hopefully, someone you know will never try to buy their first gun to protect themselves from a stalker or abusive spouse. Because now, dealers carrying S&W products cannot sell that person a self-defense gun until that person jumps through the Clinton & Wesson hoops.

Restrictions On Gun Dealers

* Mandatory employee training. This would require all employees of dealers and distributors to attend mandatory ATF approved training. Thus, dealers who have had a business for 20 years will now need to send their employees to the federal government for indoctrination.

* Dealer entrapment. The agreement requires persons under 18 to be accompanied by adults either in gun stores covered by this agreement or in the gun sections of those stores. So the next time Wal-Mart lets those pesky 17-year-olds walk near the gun section of its store, look out! An ATF agent may jump out from behind the camo rack and bust the employees for not carding the juveniles and keeping them out.

* BATF harassment provision. This agreement gives the new Oversight Commission (including its BATF representative) unfettered access into gun dealers' stores -- more so than is currently allowed by federal law. Any time it wants, the BATF can reach its dirty hand into the dealer's records and gain "access to documents necessary to determine compliance."

According to the official summary found on HUD's website, this agreement is "enforceable as a court order and as a contract." You may have heard on the news about some of the "anti-safety" devices that S&W has agreed to include on their weapons -- trigger locks, smart gun technology, etc. These are anti-safety devices that will cost innocent lives if they are imposed upon the public. After all, if they truly were safety devices, then why does the Clinton and Wesson agreement exempt law enforcement and the military from having these items on their guns?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Yeah, Lee, JPKCK is a counselor to the dirtbags in a huge prison. BTW Lee, did you know that when Bwana goes to deepest darkest Africa on a safari with his Holland & Holland 500-450 Express rifle that the "backup" man behind HIM is carrying......yep, you guessed it....a Remington 870 Wingmaster pump in 12 Ga with slugs. Fast shooting, hard hitting, safe to carry. A 12 Ga is a formidable weapon and very underated as a home defense tool. Good pick, Lee. And another thing, a shotgun is considered a "gentleman's weapon" and when you blast some scumbag with it you'll seem more like an innocent "gentleman" whose life was threatened by this....ruffian......and the law will treat you better than they will if you are standing there with a well-worn Blackhawk in .44 Mag. The guy is just as dead, but it's a "different" dead./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CJDave, I 100% agree. A 12ga. is the perfect home defense weapon. Mossberg 500 / 18 1/2" barrel, loaded with 2 3/4" #6 shot.
This will truely ruin a thiefs day/night. It's on the floor right next to the bed.

Gary

·
Registered
238 Posts
I carry a Ruger I bought 25 years ago, a Speed Six, 2 3/4 in barrel, .357 Magnum, six shot. I use 148 gr hollow point magnums for carry and .38 special for plinking. It is a great gun and I have not had any problems with many thousands of rounds through it. This gun, and probably the short barreled SP 101, are great with .38s but can become a handfull when using full magnum rounds.

What ever you buy, practice with the ammo you will use when you carry. The guns will act and shoot differently with .38 wad cutters than with high velocity .357 mag 125 grn rounds.

Karl

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I read somewhere that 148 Gr HP will not have enough velocity in a short barrel(under 4") to open the HP. I switched to 125 Gr because of that./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Out of all of these replies, I don't see any mention the Dan Wesson model 15-2H. Actually an excellent revolver. Has fewer moving parts than any comparable firearm. (less to wear out) Has changable barrels of various lengths and out standing feel.
Just my .02

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RocknCJ, I agree, I have an early Dan Wesson 357Mag with 1000's of rounds thru it and I can still put all six in the black from 50' in under
15 seconds.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just curious why you aren't satisfied with the glock enough to carry it? I'm actually in the process of buying one myself now and have basically heard nothing but good remarks about them. I'm shot them and think they are great. Light too, so my one side won't sag after carrying it for a few hours. I had to decide between glock and sig but have heard rumors from local handgun dealers that glock may be going gov and the public won't be able to buy them short of a few grand? Anybody else hear this?... maybe its a local rumor. Anyway, that is why I chose glock, but I think a sig is a great gun too, I just can't afford everything I want. Considered one of them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know we're kinda off-target from the original post, but the 12-gauge is indeed the best defense of a home - and #6 birdshot is the way to go. Why? 'Cause it won't penetrate through your walls into the room in which your kids are sleeping. But, up close it will plain tear a perp to pieces. A hit anywhere on the body at "stick 'em up" range will put him on his tushy, although a second head-shot may be necessary if he doesn't get with the program & quickly discern who is really in charge.

As to the S&W case, not only have they agreed to some pretty ugly terms, but they sold out all the other manufacturers in the process. The mayor of St. Louis issued a statement that it is now Police Department policy to give preference to S&W when it comes time to purchase department sidearms. Think S&W didn't see this coming? Neither did I.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.