Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally decided it was time for a change, and another good excuse not to do body work/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. My friends grandpa had 3 SM465's out in his back yard one was siezed and the one didn't shift out of gear (i think it was just a shifting linkage) but one was in good working shape, and already pulled. So now I've got to figure out what else I need. I'm going to call around and see if I can get a 3.8 or 4.3, (My engine goes through a quart of oil every tank and 1/2 of gas). But my big delema is what to do about a T-case. I know it's been discused before but I'm just wondering what the pro's and con's are on getting an adaptor vs. divorced? My other question is what is the best way to mount the SM465, modify the Jeepster crossmember or modify the cross member of the truck the SM465 came out of. This is my daily driver so I want to try to have a compeate, or close to it, drive train ready to go so I can simply take the entire drive train out, and put the new one in. I know this sound like I'm dreaming expecting things to slid right in, but I would like to have as little down time as I can.

1970 Jeepster half cab
225 V6/2.5" Suspension Lift/ Modified Roll Bar

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Great tranny choice, the only bad thing about it is that it has pretty poor ground clearance as I remember, so tuck it up in tight. It has a few advantages over the SM420 in that is shifts better and the big bulge for the reverse gear is not there, giving you much better front driveshaft u-jount clearance. I recently installed a SM465 with a friend into a 55 CJ-5 using advance adapters. The advance stuff was very top notch, use thier bellhousing should you stay with a GM motor, it is very beefy. The tranny adapter (D18) was good too, just a spud shaft, but I do not like aluminum adapters myself. I think a tranny adapter would be better than a divorced setup because the front driveshaft would be shorter leaving less chance of getting it stuck on a rock. Also there are better t-case options when you use an adapter, the D300, D20, or D18 are about the best t-cases you can have in a jeep unless you wanna get an Atlas II. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Also remember that you need to have a torch handy to bend that shifter. If this is a daily driver I would stick with a Buick 231 or 225, as a 4.3 swap will take a while. The best way to swap in this new drivetrain would be to assemble it all on the ground, clutch and all, then with the front clip off the Jeep swing it all in with an engine hoist. It is safer, as you have found out, that tranny is one heavy b*tch. If you use a D18 t-case, the crossmember is soooo easy, D18's already have a big torque mount cast into the casing, early jeep crossembers bolt up to it, and Rube adapter provides a beefy way to mount a stock GM tranny mount. It should not be too hard with other T-cases, only the torque mount. Good luck.

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.