Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on the chevy pg. and seen that cj dave just bought a fullsize.. In that post he said that he was going to weld up the shifter to take out the slop.Has anyone done that sucesfully? I've thought about it but was afraid to try it because it is the only one I have .I didnt know if it would go into gear right without having a little slack in it.....please advise.......and thank you for your help...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Yeah, I saw yer post and posted. Yeah, I always do that to trannys to get them back to original. Obviously you have never had a brand new 4 speed, so you haven't had the chance to see how snug they are at first. What really pits the hurt on the NP 465 is the left-offset stick. It is real hard on the pins. I ALWAYS squeezed the handle to prevent rotation when I shifted my '78 and at about 200K I still had to weld it up a little./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you weld it up where the (thingie) goes into the shifter itself, or did you weld up the flats of the (thingie) so that they fit tighter in the shift rails?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cannot believe this came up. I just found a used sm465 that I plan on mating with my soon to be chevy motor and the shifter is missing the rubber rings or "vibration damper" as they call it. I too was going to weld it together so there was no slop at all at least in the shifter, but was to chicken to put the welder to my "new tranny", even if it was just the shifter. Will this cause lots of vibration in the shifter, or will the lack of "sloppiness" make up for it?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The sloppiness comes from the pins and their fit into the slot in the half-ball. I don't think our pickup trannys have that vibration dampner rubber coupling. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.