Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with skyjacker about some sagging springs. I mentioned to the guy that I had it down in moab. Well apparently they do not cover the springs if they have been wheeled in moab or other more difficult areas. I just wanted to post this because I have always promoted these springs and had no clue they would not stand behind them if you actually used them. This makes me wonder about their new Rock Rready suspensions. I did not ask if these would be covered, since that is their whole marketing ploy. I think its interesting that "the Bear of suspensions" cannt be taken off road and really put to the test.

BJ

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I've just about got my lift (& 100 other things) done and ready to come out of the garage. I hate to hear things like this. I guess if mine start to cause problems and I have to call them............"the wife only street drives it 2 miles a day to work"./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skyjacker does have a lifetime warranty but it is "limited" not "unlimited" and covers factory defects and spring breakage only. I had to return a new spring that was over arched and had no problem with their warranty coverage and was told if I ever break one just return it.

You can't expect them to back their springs if they are being abused. There has to be a limit to what they will cover. If you break a spring they will replace it, but if you wear one out that’s another story.
I have used my Skyjacker springs many times to their potential and have no sag at all.
Every spring will have its limits and will sag over time when pounded upon.
Have a great day
Mizu

"Some place where the beer flows like wine.....a little place called.....Aspin"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bottom line is they will probably sag, but the flex is not even comparable to any other brand i have seen. i run mine without lowered bumpstops and that is supposed to accelerate the wear and sag as the springs arnt supposed to have that full range of motion, but the point is they can do it. other brands dont need bumpstops cause the springs wouldnt flex enough to hit them. you have a few choices. if you want little lift and lots of flex get the 4" and let it sag. if you want lots of lift and ok flex get a 4" and lower your bumpstops so they dont get worn out. that ought to solve your problems.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just installed their 4" lift springs on my CJ7. It only lifted it 2.5" and they shorted me two bushings. I don't see how they can get away with calling it a 4" lift if it doesn't actually provide 4" of lift. It does ride smooth. I haven't tested it yet because my dropped pitman arm is rubbing the steering rod because of the meager amount of lift it provided. I have some 1.5" shackles on the way.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I think you have to think about what you ae calling "lift". When they say 4", they are refeffing to 4" over stock height. Maybe yours was taller than stock, so you would obviously get less actual lift than 4".

If you are sure they are not getting you up 4" over stock, first check the part numbers to make sure then sent 4" springs and not 2.5" springs. If indeed the part numbers are correct, then take it up with Skyjacker. I would not hesitate to return a 4" lift that was only a 2.5" lift. That is called a manufacturer's defect (incorrect arch), and they should be wiling to replace them...

One more thing - is your Jeep heavier than normal? Lots of gear, heavy bumpers, winch, larger engine, etc.? This may be a factor...

Good luck /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It all depends on what you want out of the lift. I wanted one that flexed, and allowed room for 33's. So I got the skyjacker. I have been very pleased with the lift. I am not sure what lift it "netted", but it scored over 800 on a 23 degree RTI ramp (see attached picture) with 33's and shackle reversal. It would have scored better, if I had not done the shackle reversal. I think that is a good score for a bolt on lift, on a narrow track CJ 7. It has accomplished everything I have wanted it to.

Ignorance is the first step to knowledge.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a really good point DRM. I did have stock springs so I am assuming that I should have gained a full 4". I checked and I do have the right springs. I'm not unhappy with the lift. I have stock shackles and I planned to get heavy duty ones anyway. So buying extended shackles to gain the full 4" isn't really a big deal to me. However, if the springs sag too much I may have issues. I'm going to extend the bump stops to make sure that doesn't happen. Only time will tell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have idea see the thing is dont tell then you have ripped the heck out of them.. see what they do not know wont hurt them or you... Dirt dog when are we goign to break that toy in.....

Low Riders are for boys who can't get it UP...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeepman95: hpw do you have room for all that suspension flex with less the 4" of lift and 33's? I know all the YJ's Ive seen on the trail needed the dropped bumpstops to keep the 33's from distorting the front fenders and these had 4-5" of lift with springs and shackles

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think my main problem with them is the mere fact that they set up booths down in moab, but you shouldnt use them down there. I have loved the ride and flex out of these springs. The 4inch springs do not lift you 4 inches and I have always told people that it is still worth it. I feel like I cannot honestly tell people now that skyjacker is the way to go if they do not warranty them if you use them. They might just want to be more clear from the start--They used to sale their 4 inch lifts as 3.5inch when I bought them. And state that if you use them in heavy offroading (the only reason I put them on) that they wont be covered.

BJ

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I don't know if I mentioned before but I've got 1" longershackles front and making hypershackles rear(1-2") and a 2" bodylift with the 3 1/2" the skyjacker gave me. Yea it's got enough room to clear the "puny"/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif 33's I've got./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had 2" Skyjacker Softrides for 3 years - punishing them, with no sag at all. The ride is great and the flex is great. I also have a ridiculous roll cage, 360, T-18, winch, ridculous gas tank, etc. - lots of weight, and no complaints.

After a year, I broke the rod on one of the shocks off-road. 4wd Hardware wher I got the lift had a deal that if you get the shocks and springs at the same time, they're warrantied for life. They replaced all 4 shocks no questions asked and I have not broken one since.

All my friends have these Springs as well and are very pleased.. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley

·
Registered
470 Posts
I noticed in the early 80's, that their was a spring difference between the 4 banger and the V6/V8. Specifically, the V6/V8's have a 6 spring pack, while the 4 banger have 4. I wonder if they sent you spring packs for a 4" for a 4 banger or if you might have had the 6 spring pack with the 4 banger orginally.

I got lucky, I bought some used stock springs and ended up with 2.5" worth of lift due to the spring differences. I also added a 1 3/8" shackle lift and ended up right around 4" of lift for shipping on the springs and the shackles....of course, I also had to get new shocks for a 4" lift......and of course 33's....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeff, the answer is that i dont keep them from rubbing.... just kidding, i have the shackle lift and 3" body, but on the rear i had to trim about 1" out of teh rear of the wheelwell, not the plastic fender, just the metal. on the front i had some pretty bad rubbing of the fender flares. i got extended flares, and with the rear trimmed, and the front extended it is not too bad. it just takes a little tweeking to figure out what needs to be done to fit them. by the way, you cant tell in the rear that the fenders were cut as the plastic was left stock. i dunno if you can tell from the pic, but the passenger side rear is dropped fully as well, I wish it were a 3/4 shot but will have to do.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
one more pic for good measure. brake line is taut even with the extended ss lines

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts