Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
In the fall I finished project AMC 360 transplant into my 1986 CJ7. The motor was rebuilt with the following:
Edelbrock carb, valve train, intake, cam, and a lot more. I bolted this motor up to my stock TF999 auto trans (temp trans, was still in good shape). Since i am running a auto trans, i decided to put a set of HTC fenderwell headers. Bolted to the headers are set of flowmaster mufflers and a small tailpipe pointing straight back.

My problem is that i can no longer hear. I am looking for some suggestions on mufflers and pipe routing. I really don't want to scrap the headers and go buy a set of manifolds. This is not a strict off road mobile, i would like to make it my summer daily driver.
All help is appreciated and keep up the great posts.
Thanks
tdawgcj7

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
You have a few options.
Wrap your headers in that high temp cloth tape made just for wrapping exhaust systems.
Don't forget to do the biggest part of the head pipe below your floor board.

Get some of that insulation sheet. The stuff that looks like bubble pack sandwiched between two pieces of thick tin foil.
That will not melt, or rot when it gets wet, and will keep header heat off your feet. It also helps knock the sound down.

If you have some kind of insulation, put heavy floor mats or carpet down.
DO NOT put carpet or carpet padding down right over a header! The floor may get hot enough to melt the padding and release toxic fumes, or catch the carpet or padding on fire.
Insulate the floor board with non flammable insulation first...
(I speak from experience!)

If your exhaust doesn't have exhaust pipes after the mufflers, get tail pipes.
Turn them out in front of the back tire, or run them all the way out the back.
Out the back will be the quietest... (for you, anyway!)

Hope this helps, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really want to wrap the headers because that will void my warranty. They are coated to protect against rust. Has anyone found a good way to run the pipes out the back? If i run the pipe under the frame, there is a good chance of crushing it.

TdawgCJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although the header wrap is good for keeping down engine compartment heat and noise, DO NOT wrap two pipes together. Eventually the heat will cause the pipes to disform and blow out.
Flowmasters are good mufflers but they are loud especially under acceleration. You need to move the mufflers as far back as you can. You can then wrap the exhaust pipe between the headers and mufflers. A cross over tube (if possible) will also reduce the noise.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I forgot about the cross over pipe.
We don't do many of them, so it's not on my top ten list.
I like Flowmaster, good 'muffler', but LOUD!!!
Use turnouts in front of the back tires if you can't go over the axle out back.

Cockpit insulation will help a lot, but if you have the doors off and the top down...

I wouldn't worry too much about factory warranty on headers...
If you actually go off road very much, you are going to be hard on them no matter what!

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.