Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first ATV. One thing I am confused about is, when you are buy new from a dealer, should you expect to pay list price or do you haggle on price (like when buying a car or truck)? The places I have looked at all have their quads priced at MSRP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
definatly talk about price! just like buying a car,get the price from one dealer and take it to the next and so on until you find the best price. call all the dealerships around you and within a couple hour drive. you could save a couple hundred bucks.its worth the couple dollers in gas to drive if the deal is good.one more thing let them know you ARE! buying an atv within a couple of weeks and you are shopping for the best price.
What are you looking to by? let us know maybe others out there have the same machine new and they can tell you what they paid or what extras the got included.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If possible try to buy out of state. You will not have to pay the tax on the quad until you register it with the state you live in, and people usually don't register
their quads so you get away tax free.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BUT if you do not register your atv with your home state they (the State) wont
know you have it, So they will not count you when they are thinking about trails in your area, They will say we have only a few atvs in this area and send no funds for trail development and you will be out any chance for any help from the state government.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good point, but in my area there are so many trails already it doesent really matter if the state gov helps or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhhh! You say that now.... Don't come crying to us when they start shutting down your riding areas.

Here is CA - if you don't register, you don't get a green stick and you don't ride (Unless you're willing to chance it and get a ticket).

BansheeMan </font color=green>/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it's different everywere. I live in jersey, and where i live in jersey there is nowhewe thay can shut down the trails. Its just not practical.
If a cop were to see me and stop me he would just tell me to get in the woods. Well i feal sorry for you guys if the authourities bother you so much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bansheerider's advice will only work if you get a dumb salesperson. I have been in auto sales for several
years and we know how people shop. You will have a tough time committing someone to a price unless you
are ready to sign the contract. Also, they can quote you any price they want to get you to come back
and if you don't buy it when its quoted they can't be held to it.
Research what cost is and offer a profit over that. Unless its a high demand vehicle you can probably
make a deal close to your target price. Good Luck, Gibby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU SELL BUT THATS A BUNCH OF
GARBAGE YOUR TALKING. A FRIEND OF MINE JUST BOUGHT A
00' 400EX LAST WEEK AND SHOPPED AROUND AND WENT FROM
DEALER TO DEALER(5-6 DEALERS) WHEN HE STARTED THE
PRICE WAS MSRP 5700.00 FIRM.WHEN ALL WAS SAID AND
DONE HE PAID 5300.00 FROM A DEALER WHO FIRST TOLD HIM 5600.00 FIRM WE DROVE AN HOUR TO GET IT BUT IT WAS
WORTH IT.SO I DONT KNOW WHO YOU SELL FOR BUT I WONT
BUY ANYTHING FROM A DEALER WHO WONT TALK PRICE. WHO
BUYS A VEHICLE ON THE FIRST DAY OF WALKING INTO A
DEALERSHIP? I HOPE NOBODY DOES,BECAUSE THEN WE ARE
JUST WHAT YOU SALESMAN WANT A DUMB CONSUMER!!IF ANY
DEALER QUOTES ME A PRICE AND WONT STAND BY IT WITHIN
A WEEK OF SHOPPING AROUND THEN I'LL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE THATS RIDICULOUS. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!!!!!DONT BE A SUCKER TO THE SALESMAN. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND GET THE BEST PRICE!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, do not yell.
As I stated, you cannot expect a dealer to stick to a price quote for long. Rebates, factory dealer incentives
etcdo not last forever. I never told him to buy on the first day. I said research and pick a target price on what
you want and find a dealer that will get close to that. You do not have a lot of bargaining power unless you are
ready to buy something. That should be obvious to you. "DO YOUR RESEARCH AND GET THE BEST
PRICE!!" Hmmm, thats what I said in my post so what are you arguing about. I gave good advice and
you are undermining it due to ego.
I am a nice guy but all the time I see customers with your foul attitude for two reasons: #1 you are scared
because you lack information and expect a dealer to put self interest behind educating you, or #2 The guy who
sold you your last vehicle went to the Bahamas on the $$ he made off you. ( that wasn't me. I work in a high volume
lower profit dealership) Now lets drop this subject before we get kicked off this forum
Gibby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FIRST OF ALL WHEN I PURCHASE ANYTHING I RESEARCH IT SO I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT WHEN I GO INTO A DEALERSHIP SO SOME TWO-BIT SMOOTH TALKING SALESMAN DOESNT TRY TO RIP ME OFF.WE ALL KNOW MOST DEALERSHIPS SALESMAN MAKE COMISSION AND BONUSES OFF SALES.EVER HERE OF "SALESMAN OF THE MONTH" I KNOW YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT. THE DEALER GIVES THAT TITLE TO THE ONES WHO BRING THE MOST MONEY IN RIGHT? NOT JUST THE NICEST GUY IN THE PLACE. THEY WANT TO GET THE MOST MONEY OUT OF YOU SO THEY CAN PAD THERE POCKET WITH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY! DID I MEAN FOR HIM TO GET A PRICE THIS WEEK AND TRY TO GET THAT PRICE 2 MONTHS FROM KNOW "NO". BE REALISTIC.IF I WAS TO WALK INTO YOUR SHOW ROOM AND SAY I WANT THAT CAR AND THE STICKER WAS 20,000 BUT YOU COULD SELL IT FOR 18,000 AND I DIDNT ASK FOR A LOWER PRICE WOULD YOU STOP ME AND SAY "HEY YOU YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY 20 I CAN LOWER THAT TO 18" COME ON YOU KNOW YOU WOULD'NT SO STOP ACTING LIKE A SAINT AND AS FOR THE LAST SALESMAN THAT I PUCHASED A VEHICLE FROM DID NOT MAKE ENOUGH TO GO TO THE BAHAMAS HE MADE ENOUGH TO GO TO MCDONALDS! I SIMPLY TOLD THE THE ORIGINAL POSTER TO SHOP FOR PRICE AND DO NOT LIMIT HIMSELF TO LOCAL DEALERSHIP.ENOUGH SAID.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why are you so angry? Or is your caps lock button stuck? I advised him to research, pick a target price and
try to get it.
What do you do for a living? Never mind lets drop this subject.
Gibby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know how to find dealer invoice cost on a car but how do u do that on an atv?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so, bansheerider, on a new $6,000 atv (msrp), how much less can a guy expect to pay? i m not in CA. if i pick 1 brand, 1 model, i'll be driving my butt off comparison shopping. the dealers are spread out in n. WI, even down in the "big city," Green Bay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Money talks, everything else walks, The only way to deal is to go in prepared to buy. Then you can talk, if a salesman thinks you will buy something right now the bottom line will come around... You also have to think about having a friend at the dealership, bring up service, how long do you have to wait to get your machine in for service. Theres alot more to bottom line than what you pay when you take it out the door... Just a few thoughts :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.