Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ramsey 8000 used and while hooking it up today I noticed that there is no fuse or anything. It seems like it should be fused somehow, as everything else on the Jeep is. I also have it reciever mounted so the wiring will not be permanently connected...all the more reason to have a fuse or at least have something to gaurd against hooking it up wrong
Anyone have experience with this?
Dan

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
YES there should be a fuse!! unless you want your battery to be the weak link....

What are you using for a quick disconect for the wires?? The male/female ones right.....

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Fuse it ...where? It's a battery cable! You're looking at a pretty BIG fuse. You don't have a fuse between your starter and the battery ......why would you want or need one in a winch? The heavy cables are no more "at risk" then your normal battery cables and all the control circuits are in your hand (the remote). You don't fuse a set of jumper cables, do you?

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Since the Ramsey 8000's can pull more tahn 280 amps at ful tilt, you would need a BIG fuses (a little over the max rating of pull current, otherwise it'll blow when under a load over the fuse amount). If it is a removable style, get one of the large male/ female connectors for 4-6 awg cable. They only plug in one way, so you won't go to ground if plugged in wrong. They use them for this and things like forklift charging, etc. They run about 25-30 for the two connectors. Just like a normal winch, they don't get fused.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a Ramsey winch on a multi mount, and I was also worried about the long cable going to the rear outlet shorting out. What I did was buy a HD solonoid. I ran a cable from the battery to this solonoid and then the two leads for the front and rear pos cable from the other side. I then wired it so that I flip a switch under the dash and then the cables are hot. I've used this setup under some hard winching and it has held up fine so far.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Dan, most electric utility winches are internally protected and shut down if they overheat. Internal heat would be the biggest killer of the motor and could tend to short windings and other nasty stuff. However, the fuses on these systems would also be impractical as their size would be prohibitive. So they use relays to enable and disable the drum and motor functions. The relay's are also very robust and rarely do contacts fuse. In short, the fuse becomes an item that's rarely used. As for cabling to the reciever mount, modify these Connectors and it will work just fine. I plan a set for Jumper cables on my CJ... someday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a question about all this.I dont run a fuse on my winch, but last saturday I did melt a terminal out of the battery.The winch never stalled and this has never happened before..SO, was it just time for the battery to go or are there other reasons for this...By the way, although we tried every way we could possibly pull it out, the toyata HAD to have a dozer pull it out!!! My jeep made it just fine somhow!Maybe I finally just taxed the snot outa the winch, I dont know!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
One of my Superwinches had 5 circuit breakers in line on the power cable. The circuit breakers looked like the ones used in 70's Harleys. Just bigger. Maybe this is just the old way of doing it? I like the solenoid idea. Just remember to get a continuous duty solenoid. Somebody here has the part # (Ford?). I don't remember.

Pigpen
76 CJ5 360/T18A/Bronco gear D20/D30 big brake disc, locker/D44 big drum working on disc/ factory slip/4inch lift/33's/6000lb winch/All Fiberglass/electric fan/full cage/ appetite for MUD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts