Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 258 with carter bbd carb and the tfi upgrade. I am wondering if I would gain any hp by replacing the stock air cleaner with an aftermarket setup? I have all sorts of vacuum lines running to the stock cleaner and if I change to an aftermarket what drawbacks will I have? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
uh.. hp gain.. very little.. like maybe 2 or 3.. most.. its just an aircleaner.. but i would upgrade to a k&n just because you can keep reusing it, will save you in the long run. but dont expect any real hp gains.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Uh.....Dean,....if the truth be known, A LOT of aftermarket air cleaners are all show and no square inches of area. When I was in Hi Skool, I would race anybody who had one of those little chromies that sat on top of the carb. I used a modified Chrysler dry-type offset for maximum area for my hot 347 Pontiac engine, and later my "built" Chrysler Hemi/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It was a slaughter, and they never figured out why/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree with the majority here! you will not gain anything in horsepower. the advertisement is hype to get your money. keep the stock and will maintain the smog system if you are in an area that enforces the emissions as i am in tucson.
the 258 has enough power for a jeep in my opinion but you know us guys are power crazy! you might just consider another manifold and holley. now that would be a boost! again check your local emissions regulations.
steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.