Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I LOVE Bronco's and am looking into buying one.
I found a 93 Eddie Bauer 5.8L auto. Should I buy it here are the details.

Outside bent bumper. Rear passenger quarter panel dented.
Inside seats leather are just a little rough. may need covers.
Temp guage doesn't move from C
Brakes pulsate like ABS is kicking in and out even when I don't need it too.
A/C needs recharge
Speedo jumps 5 mph up and down.
The guy is asking $5000 but pretty sure he'll take $4,000. Rest of the truck is in good shape. It runs great has 103,000miles but is quite and strong. Steering is strong. Push button 4x4. Please help soon just want some opinions before its gone

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
With the 5.8?
You know you will be needing to dump some money into it....
Have you checked the maintenance history, lube/oil filters regularly, tranny fluid/filter at least every 30k, tuneups, last brake job (if ever), etc.
Any leaks?
4WD working properly?

If you got it for $4k, sounds like a reasonable deal, assuming the above questions are answered reasonably. Avoid a vehicle that has not had a good maintenence history. Replacing/rebuilding the tranny alone could end up running you $2k.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its the 5.8L and the engine and tranny themselves are quite and seem very strong. The 4x4 does work. Doesn't make any funny noises. I was told the brakes were just done on it. I know both the rear axes just had a new ring and spider gears put in. The tires will need to be replaced but thats expected. The brakes feel good other then then when the ABS just seems to kick in and out when braking on dry pavement. Its very odd. The speedo is anoying but at leat I know how fast I am going. Blue book on the truck in fair cond if $5095 to $5600 depending on where you look.

Any advice info about these and anything is very helpful. Thanks and keep it coming guys.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Actually, the more you write about it the more worried I get. Why was the ring/spider replaced? There is a "toner" ring right in there that sends signals to the ABS system, wonder it that got screwed up.

NEVER take a sellers word on anything. Sorry, I am not very trusting of people until its earned. Have you seen receipts for all the work that was said to have been performed? Sounds are ok to go by, but make sure you have checked all fluids.

Better to miss a good deal than purchase an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
i betcha the ABS and speedo problems are interconnected, and like the juice said, it's probably something to do with the speed sensor in the rear axle. there's probably just some metal shavings on the sensor left over from the grenaded diff gears, which wouldnt take long to check if you want to do that before you shell out the money. my temp doesnt move off C much either and it's because i have no t-stat, which is probably the same for that truck too. it really helps for high-rpm mud slinging though
assuming the A/C problem is minor, if you could get it for 4k i think that'd be a nice deal. but i would diagnose that rear axle sensor and its wiring first, though i doubt it's a major problem. if you do buy it and want to get rid of that squirmy abs feel, disconnect both front sensors at each wheel well in the engine compt and that should disable the abs computer til you solve the rear axle problem. good luck, i hope theres a new stallion in your stable soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.