Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the responses to my post a few days ago, asking whether I should buy a Samurai or a Sidekick for light offroading in the Pacific Northwest. Based on the recommendation of going for the Samurai, I've got one in mind. Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

- 1988 (I think it's the 1988.5: it has square dash vents)
- 113,000 miles (183,000 km)
- Asking $2,000 US

PRO
- Good stock size tires
- Newer exhaust
- Runs well and not blowing any blue smoke
- 4WD engages well
- Clutch engages well (with slight whining noise, perhaps release bearing, when pedal depressed)
- Some rust, but not bad (floor is solid)
- Brakes feel strong
- Suspension firm
- Used as a street commuter

CON
- Minor oil leak from passenger side of engine; couldn't see where it was coming from
- Some oil on underside of floor panel above transfer case
- Parking brake doesn't hold
- Rad has some corrosion
- Soft top pretty worn out(but no tears in it)

He hasn't used it for two years, and it's not licensed so I couldn't drive it.

What do you think? Anything else I should check on it? I didn't check compression, and I forgot to look into the rad to see if there appeared to be any head leaks (is that often a problem with Samurais?).

Thanks again; you've been a great help already!

·
Registered
932 Posts
The oil leak on the motor is the valve cover gasket or the Dist O-ring, both an easy fix. Oil above the t-case is from a t-case seal gone bad, again not a major fix. This has a plastic tank radiator, it may very well leak everywhere if you flush it and add new anti freeze. Just count on finding a used 88 and back brass tank radiator. The main thing is whether you like it or not. Drive it and if you do, get it, they are getting harder to find everyday, and the price keeps going up. Once you have one, then you can fix it, add to it, do what ever for the rest of your life if you wish. If you don't get it, and later decide you wished you had, then you will be looking all over again, and I bet the price and condition won't be as good.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and after all that sit back and look at it for a good long while. Do YOU like how it looks? Do YOU like color its in. I bought a zuk once and a few weeks down the road I just hated the color of it. I didnt like it to much when I bought it but I really needed one at the time for work use and jumped at it. I sold it within a year because I just couldnt stand the color. It bothered me everytime I got it in it. My point is, just make sure its the one YOU want:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you should buy mine for $1500.00. Pretty much the same description. It's a red 87 JA (no tach), 135k miles, doesn't smoke, newer exhaust, running gear in excellent shape, good brakes (including parking brake), good P235 street tires, top is in crappy shape (I'm honest), straight body, just passed Washington emission test, good seats. Needs door panels installed, lower window track on driver door, door locks re-keyed. I have the parts. I'm the 2nd owner on the motor and trans.

Skip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have added. I don't think it had ever been offroaded until I took it to a cleanup day at Evans Creek 2 weeks ago. I rescued it from a life as a low rider

Skip

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I agree with most of the others, if he's had it sitting up for two years he will probably take considerably less than his asking price. The rust would really bother me and being down South I won't buy one with anything more than surface rust where the paint is rubbed off or something. I know up North rust-free is the exception so you may not be able to be so picky.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I bought mine @ 2000 also. It had crap exhaust, minior rust in the bed (right rear fender was real bad on the inside and there is a good sized hole in the left rear corner on the floor). The rust looked small at first, but when I was installing the dupi color I chipped all the rust away and ground out all the bad metal. it got big quick. Check the rocker pannels, rear wheel wells, the seal on the back tailgate (mine is rusted kinna not so well), you may want to invest some money before buying it and change the fluids to see what they look like..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.