Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 1963 CJ5 from my buddies dad. He has owned it for 23 years and has never finished it. He is asking $700.00
for it. IS IT WORTH IT????

He put a buick V-6 in it about 20 years ago. He never started it because he never got the wiring harness.
The motor is all adapted to T-case etc.

No interior and body is in primer.

The frame and axles were sand blasted and painted black. Stored indoors for the last 23 years.

The body was rusted but the floor boards were all replaced with new sheet metal.

I am not a machanic or anything close to one but my wife drives me crazy and I need a hobby. IS IT WORTH IT OR NOT.

Thanks in advance

Chad

1998 Jeep TJ

G

·
$700 sounds like a little too much too me. If the body was good, that would help, but it sounds like the body was never completed. The motor is likely no good, 20 years is a long time to sit without being turned over. The wiring harness is going to cost you a good bit. 20 years sitting, probably all the seals will need replacing. Sounds like a $250 Jeep to me, unless the body is much better than it sounds.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
DON'T BUY IT
&
WHERE IS THIS JEEP AT ?
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
BUY IT!!
Yea, it'll cost you a bunch to get it restored, but my first order to 4WD Hardware was over $700 when I began restoring my '69CJ. And by the way, that Buick V6 isn't necessarily dead. BUY IT!!
If you don't want the Jeep, let me know and I'll take it. I know a couple of people who would love to have it.

Hey- ultimately, it's your $$$.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
The question is not as simple as is it worth it, it should be is it worth it to you. Can you deal with taking
this Jeep completely apart and reassembling it? You should surely expect every rubber part to be dried
out. This means every engine, transmission, transfercase and differential seal, tie rod boots, brake
seals and boots, etc. and that's just for starters. Next what is rusted? Block, cylinder walls, crank
transmission, transfercase and differential gears, bearings, brakes, axle shafts, inside of frame, anything
where humidity has gotten, since the oil coating has run off years ago. Can you handle all of this? If
not, you would be better off starting with a simpler project if you don't intend to make it your life's work.

G

·
If you want it and can afford it, go for it. Re-stock you tool box, buy lots of hand cleaner, and get a fridge or ice-chest just for your beer or beverage of choice while working on your 'hobby' Buick V6 is a good motor and not to expensive to fix. The good thing is the drive train is all there, no need to buy adapters and stuff. Wiring, a pain in the A$$, but doable. Floor has been done, body you say is primer, good color, if not, Wal-Mart has their paint for .99 cents a can. Interior, what interior, junkyard seats can be found for about $50. Paint the wheels black and slap some tires on it and you have yourself something to get dirty with. Once it is all done, start the process again with a shiny new credit card and various Jeep and 4WD catalogs. Have fun!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Buy it. The motor isn't necessarily bad. I bought a '71 Commando after it sat for about 20 years, non-running, OUTSIDE, and it runs now without any adverse effects (at least not yet). I bought mine for $200, so you might decide if $700 is worth it to you, everyone's right. Is it a good deal monetarily? Could you part it out for $700? If yes, you have nothing to lose. Do you have a place to work on it? It sounds like you really want it but are trying to have others help you decide. If I had no knowledge (BTW, how else are you going to learn?), few tools, but a willingness and a place to work on it, yep, I'd buy it. The amount you will learn is invaluable and will help you with other mechanical fixes.

BE FORWARNED, I did this on the Scrambler of mine and now it's part of the family. I'd sooner sell the house and TJ than part with the Scrambler. It becomes a part of you. If you get it and work on it, you'll know what I mean. A lot of others know what I'm talking about as well. It's like an addiction, you can't leave for work without telling your jeep you'll be home at the end of the day, so not to worry. The Commando is slowly coming up to this level, but the Scrambler is like an old friend, you have an understanding. It takes care of you and you'll take care of it. Now I'm rambling...

If it were me, I'd buy it. You can always part it out or sell it later if things don't work out. Just my opinion.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
My opinion, you should buy it IF you'll do better by it than the current owner did: it needs to run again. I also think this guy should be willing to come down on price a couple hundred bucks at least, because you will, in all likelihood, have to replace a whole sh!t potful of rubber parts at a bare minimum and, after 20 years, there's no guarantee that V6 isn't toast.

But you will be facing a looooooooong process of swinging wrenches and spending money, which needs to be thoughtfully decided.

Bone stock rigs: '81 CJ7, '96 ZJ. Moab every summer!

·
Registered
109 Posts
A '63, huh? Lets see:
Brakes are really bad. Steering is downright dangerous. Fuel tank under the seat leaks now, or will later. Miserable ride. V6 will be tough on the tranny, unless it's a 4 speed. Rear Dana 44 is tapered, not flanged. Windshield will leak all over your feet when you drive in the rain. Would I buy it? You bet I would! All these things are fixed with a bit of cash, and perseverence. Most of your parts to upgrade can come from the boneyard. It will be a great experience, and boards like this one will help you through any tough spots. Been There, Done That. As mentioned before, I'd sooner part with my newer vehicles than my '71 CJ5.
Good Luck!!

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

G

·
man I love my 71. I agree, Id rather give up anything else. But that comes with having built it from the frame up. If you want a good project that'll make ya learn lots and have a really cool toy in the end then I can highly suggest it. However, beware there will be times during it all that you will tempted to give the thing away. I know I went through that.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
MAN! you guys are the best!! I've been tinkering with cars all my life. Now
I work behind a desk (just like an adult) all day. At the end of the day I
go home to my raggedy ol' 78 CJ5. I have my times of laying underneath it
working (catching dirt with eyes) and wondering why?. But I have had many
more times of grinning from ear to ear, covered in mud, eating late night
pizza with oil soaked hands, and banging on sh!t til 3 in the morning!!

Woo!! Hoo!!

Buy the Jeep already!!! You will never regret it!! You can find another wife.

Just a side note...Through my divorce the one thing that was not discussed
was the Jeep. IT WAS GOING WITH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.