Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,let me ask you guys a question,say i am going to get a set of Ranco,etc truck shocks and put them on my Eagle,and it is lifted way above stock,how would you go about measuring travel so you could get
a shock with enough length for drop,and not so long that it would bottom on compression? adapting/moving mounts is no problem..

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would flex the Jeep in both directions with no shocks on it and then measure. Lets say that one front tire is totally stuffed and the other is dangling in the air. You can then take measurements from shock mount to shock mount to see what your max and min are. If your shock can cover that much extension and that much compression you will know that the shocks will not limit your travel.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
another way is to measure the length required at static height then look at rancho's spec's. find the shocks that are in the middle of their travel close to that length and pick the one with the longest travel. this is how i picked mine out. of course you do need to make sure they won't be limiting the axle or you may need limiting straps and/or bumpstop extensions.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I measured the distance from mount to mount at rest on level gound. Then I measured the distance from the spring to bump stop and subtracted the height (if the shock is mounted diagonally some geometry is required, stock are vertical though). This gave me the "theoretical" collapsed length, so I then looked up the shocks. I went with the shocks that gave me the right collapsed length, actually a little shorter, and the maximum extended length. They work great. My older brother and his wife relied on the supplier to give them the right shock, both are off, one bottoms out and one limits travel.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

1 - 7 of 7 Posts