Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the shocks on my jeep when installing longer shackles, because I wasn't able to get thing to line up with them on. Now I can't get the rear shocks to go on, I have a 2.5 inch rancho lift and 1 and 3/8" lift shackles, I bought the lift from desert rat and they gave me their "house" shocks desert rattlers with the lift. The shocks are two different lengths, I have the long shocks in the fron now, it seems that they would need to be longer then the rear. I am I wrong, the front shocks seem plenty long, but the rear seem to short.
I dont think they are too short since the shocks in the front seem to fit fine.

should the longer shocks be in the rear?

thanks for trying to get this thing together.
tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one can help?
I guess I will just have to try them both ways?
thanks

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Shocks included with lift kits are notorious for not fitting just right.

If you want to do this correct, you need to remove all 4 shocks, and flex the Jeep up to it's maximum on compression and extension.

Then you measure the distance between the shock mounting locations on the front and rear. You now have the extended length, and the compressed length of the shocks you need.

Add about .5" to 1" to the length when extended to give yourself some "cushion, and subtract about 1" from the compressed length for some room just in case you bottom out real hard.

Now take that info and check any manufacturers shock charts to get the correct shock for your specific needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts