Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the least expensive way to ship body parts (fenders,hood,doors) across the country? UPS won't do these will they,or has anyone found a way?Thanks

Dave Cardwell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPS will. They charged me about $50 to ship a fullsize dodge bumper from TX to Mass.

Glenn

'67 Commando halfcab
Austin, TX

·
Registered
560 Posts
Classis Enterpises in WI. ships Jeep sheet metal via UPS.

Dan
'67 8701 Deluxe
JEEPSTERS and their Owners - Friends for Life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called them,and the response was they excede their size limitations and they will not ship. But I thought maybe someone knew if they took them oversize or something,the girl didn't know how to spell Los Angeles.

Dave Cardwell

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dave, I remember a post months ago that this topic came up. A lot of options were discussed, and I suggested using the 'Running Dog'. I haven't inquired with a bus line, but, years ago, my grandfather used to ship farm parts to Greenville,Tx. on the bus. Just needed someone to pick it up. Might try them. GL.

Clint Wortham
Ashdown, Arkansas
'71Wagon,D44's,SOA,Q's,P/S,FDiscs,TH400,Lockers,231...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I shipped some front fenders from Alabama to California. I dont remember how much it cost but it was cheaper than everything else I checked out. They made it to Cali no problem.

Rich

·
Registered
608 Posts
Eugene, I shiped two tubs across the country for about $500. apiece. The secret is boxing them up and calling them auto parts. when I didn't have them boxed they came under a "240" class and wanted $1300., when I boxed them, so that they could be stacked on, they were put in a "60" class, which almost a third of the price. I shipped through[ Roadway Trucking ]. Cheap and inside a covered truck. I delivered them to there dock and they took them to there closes dock. Call them and see.

jeepstrman AL
71 Hurst 350/700R/atlas TF/wide track/44-30 Power locks.1/2 cab.[you can always get a dog,but jeepsters are forever]

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
look in your phone book for a carrier that has a terminal near you. Our book has them under trucking - motor freight. Call them to find a carrier that serves both points direct. Describe them as sheet metal parts unassembled for one of the lowest classifications. You will have to pack , crate or palletize them for safe handling. You will also likely have to bring them to the terminal or pay a residential pick up charge. They will help you fill out bill of lading at terminal. Be prepared a minimum charge cross country probably starts around $100 - $150. You could also check with RPS (now Fedex Ground in some areas) if they are near you. They used to take larger pkges than UPS.
Do you know anyone that works for a company that does a lot of shipping? They could help.

John B.
Eastern Chapter Coordinator
Proud '72 "Bullnose" Driver
69,71 Commando Projects
50 Willys Jeepster

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dave,

We ship some really heavy crates for the my medical device company. Here are two vendor we use. Phone numbers are in the San Diego area, but I think they are both nationwide.

Mach 1: 619 291-8326
Consoldated Freightways: 760 471-5455

Paul

·
Registered
560 Posts
Consolidated is nation wide for sure.

Dan
'67 8701 Deluxe
JEEPSTERS and their Owners - Friends for Life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts