Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1994 2wd F-150 and when I reach the speed of around 40 mph, I start to get a left to right motion in the steerig wheel (then goes away at about 50). I'm thinking that my tie-rod ends or ball joints need replacing. If this is the case how much work is involved? Any tips? Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas???

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
The fact that it only does it in that speed range is kinda weird. Jack up one side of your truck in the front and try to turn that tire by hand left and right. It shouldn't be able to turn, but i recently replace a rod end on mine because I could move the left tire 1/2 inch independently of the right one. Then grab the top and bottom of that same tire and try to rock it up and down, and if you can then do it and feel around to see if it's the lower or upper ball joint. If it's neither then it's probably your wheel bearings. Another thing to check would be the rag joint where the steering wheel shaft meets the box. It will give you some play if it's worn out.

Changing balljoints on a 2wd should be a big deal, as you wouldn't really even have to take the hub off the spindle. Just remove the two nuts on the balljoints and the steering linkage and you're free. (after taking the brake caliper off) But if you do replace one, replace both of them because they aren't expensive and it's alot easier to do once while everything is apart.

Anyway, this was long but what I'm stressing is diagnosis, because it sucks to replace a bunch of parts and still have the problem. Good luck.

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I jacked it up yesterday to try and find out where the slop was, and I have equal play in both the driver and pass. wheel. The play is only left and right, not top and bottom. I am thinking maybe it could be something with the steering now?????

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Sounds like it's probably the tie rod ends or something in that area. If you jacked them up one at a time with one on the ground, then yes, both should have equal play if something in the steering is worn. Look under the front at the rod that connects both sides together, while you move one of the tires left and right, and you should be able to see where the slack is.

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.