Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home on the everyday commute, in typical Atlanta traffic, my shifter pulled out of the transmission! The housing had worked loose and the pin fell out and left me in 2nd gear with the stick in my lap!

Anyway the problem is fixed now

just needed to vent

G

·
That happens a lot with the T4 and T5, the rubber that holds the shifter to the stub wears out and goes away, and suddenly you're shifting air! Oh well, it makes a handy weapon for defending yourself against the road rage that occurs as you frantically try to stick the shifter back on the stub while holding up traffic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Same thing happened on my T-176 but it left me in fourth. It was on a Saturday so there wasn't much traffic but I still smoked the clutch every time I mistimed a light and had to stop. Just as I got home, I remembered that the transfer case had a low range. I felt real stupid. My only excuse was that it was my first Jeep and I hadn't had it very long.

I put a hose clamp around the tower to hold the pins in so that wouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now I know why my T-176 has a hose clamp aroud the shifter housing!

Back in 1971 I was getting a ride from a fellow sudent in his Gremlin (a FINE piece of AMC engineering) when he shifted and the stick came out of the transmittion in the middle of traffic. The only good thing was that this was Kenosha WI where everyone owned an AMC and parts were available on any street corner.

Does anyone remember those other exellent examples of AMC engineering, the Marlin and Pacer?

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
89 YJ
94 Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I had the hydro line rupture in my clutch once and ended up stuck in 3rd. I was in light traffic but getting home was a real pain. 20mph for what seemed like forever

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"Because there is no reason not to"

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Well you cant help but love that Pacer with the passenger door being BIGGER than the drivers door. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
HAHA! that reminded me of about 100 years ago,
when it happened to me in a pinto ........
or a hornet...or something.
talk about shock? funny later, tho.

when in doubt.........
empty the magazine.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That stick feature is actually a driver comfort option; it allows you to remove the stick and then swing your right leg across the tranny hump to stretch on those long voyages out to Moab./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Back in the thirties, Ford made the floor shift three speeds such that the spring that held the semi-ball down could be compressed by lifting up and that would disengage the little short pins that held the semi-ball in the "H" pattern. Once disengaged, you could swing the stick to one side and up close to the dash, and that would enable your sweetie to sit close and snuggle better when you were at the favorite "parking" spot. Just a little historical side note./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif No, I wasn't necking yet in the thirties, but when I wuz first learning to drive in the early fifties, pre-war Fords were still very common./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif We had a '35 Ford pickup with a '40 Ford 85 engine and a Stromberg 97 carb on it. The absolute LAST WORD in ground transportation.....or so we thought./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Back in high school, I actually did alot of bodywork on a friends pacer. That was real tough considering that there are no staight body parts, they're all curved.

Rick
80 CJ7

G

·
Ah, yes....the same thing happens to me in my '91 Wrangler...of course, it didn't happen until I swapped my tranny with one from a '90 Cherokee, and I had to "modify" the shifter slighty. I carry a hammer with me so I can beat it back in quickly before the traffic backs up. I've gotten quite good at it, I can get it back in in less than 30 seconds...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts