Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on the shift motor front axle on my 1989 jeep wrangler, the transfer (231.1 probably not the original) has no place for the vaccum switch or hose assembly, is their a electric shift motor or other ways to engage and disengage, please HELP

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You can get a hand-cable system made specifically for Jeeps too - it's called the Rock Lock, and it's made by Big Dick's Suspension. BDS. There is a write up on it somewhere here in off-road.com.

Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i think there a 3 vacuum lines going to the front axle disconnect,
short term you could run a vacuum line straight to it to engage/disengage side (i did this for 2 years, after melting my stock vaccum lines on my dual exhaust)
i took the disconnect off the axle to watch the shift lever move (as vacuum was applied) to figure how it worked, also you don't wan't to creat a vacuum leak.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my 94YJ, I got 2 solenoid valves from McMaster Carr for about $25 ea. I hooked them up to a DPST switch (on-on) to open and close the motor. It has worked great for about a year now.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how did u set that up? and what is the DPST switch?
thanks

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
We get this subject over on the Jeep Mid-Sized BBS quite often; XJs have the same front axle as YJs. Regardless of what type of actuation system you use, the most common problem is the shift collar becomming stuck on the axle splines due to lack of luibrication. You should consider opening up the shifter, located on the passenger side of the axle tube and packing axle grease on the splines and collar, as a preventative maintenance procedure. Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.