Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sherm here,

Help! My 91 pathfinder V6 auto tranny is kaput! It started making whirring, turbine noises, then slipping, and now won't move in any direction at all in any gear! HELP!

Anybody know what this is? The rig has 180,000 miles (!) and til now runs like a top. PLEASE HELP! I'm giving it to the mechanic in the morning so hurry! Thanks.

Sherm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's as simple as can be. It's bebuild time. My tranny has all your symptoms, except that it didn't go completely out. I hope your mechanic is resonable. Nissan wants $2500 to do the job. My mechanic did it for $1300, which was as cheap as I could possible find it. He also built my tranny "slightly" stronger than factory. It has a better torque convertor, holds the gears longer, and generally makes the truck stronger overall. He also added a Full size truck Trans cooler and replaced the 9 qt factory tranny pan with a 12 qt pan. Heat is what kills tranmission's, so I never have to worry about this problem again. YOU MUST GET THE TRANNY COOLER, OR THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!! It will only run you about $50, and will probably make this the last tranny rebuild you need.
Good luck and let me know what happens.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Kenny. Who made the tranny pan? I have a new frontier with a auto, but I don't want to rebuild it ever.
So since it is getting close to fluid changing time, I figure it is a good time to take care of cooling it. please
let me know how much it goes for and where I might get it. Thanks and here's hoping that nissan gets a
transmission engineer that knows what he is doing......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know who it's made by, My mechanic just said he put on a 12 qt pan, and I never asked who made it. It's definitly a bigger pan, so I know he actually did it. I would check Autozone, etc. and ask them. If they don't have one, then he might have got it from Nissan. It shouldn't be to expensive, probably $20- $30. But It's not really the pan that will save you. It's the tranny cooler. It's mounted on the front of your radiator and cools your trans fluid before it ever goes back to the trans. I got one for a Full size truck. Now it is the investment that will save your Trans! It cost me about $50 at autozone.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
thanks for the info. The coler is the easy part i would like that bigger pan though. I will check Thanks again....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts