Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best/most affordable way to go with a shackle reversal? Do they make bolt-on kits or do you need to have a welder handy? Also, what else can I expect to alter after making this modification...driveshafts ect? I have pretty limited cash, and no welding ability, is this too much. Thanks
I have an 87 wrangler with everything pretty miuch stock

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I made mine, but even though it only cost me about $25 in steel, it took days of measuring and welding to get it perfect, but i will guarantee that mine is stronger than any you will see

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Warrior kit. But I had a 4x4 shop do the install. It moves the axle forward 1" and gave me 1" of lift in the front but it didn't require a new driveshaft or anything. It did require welding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much did the install cost? Do you think its that comlicated that a shop would do it better? I hate letting a shop play with my jeep, but if its way above my ability I would do it

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how to weld, so I let the shop do it. I don't think it is that complicated. They charged me $225 for the kit and $125 for labor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the Tomken Machine kit. It is a completely bolt on kit. Installation was easy. On the front, unbolt everything and bolt on the new mount. On the rear of the front spring you will have to grind off the rivets then pop them out. Tomken says to drill through the top of the frame and bolt on the mount with the bolts going all the way through the frame. I just made some nut plates to fit inside the frame and bolted the mounts to it. I tack welded this mount to the frame but Tomken says it is not required.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I used Rough Country's s/r kit on my CJ5. It was a complete bolt on. The hardest part was removing the stock shackle hangers. Those rivets are tough! The directions left plenty to be desired, but after reading them several times, it was clear enough. You do need to drill 6 big holes in the frame. But I am tickled with the results. My jeep (with 35s) tracks down the road much better. Big bumps no longer throw me into another lane!! The ride and control is sooo much better. I cannot totally recommend the Rough Country kit mainly due to the directions. But the end results are well worth it.

...... btw.... on my CJ5 the rear shackle hanger (on the front springs) interferred with the nerf bars. A little modification of the nerf bars took care of the problem, but it would have been nice to know about that ahead of time.

..... btw II..... I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. If your wrangler is "stock", I can't imagine that a s/r kit would be that high on your "want" list. I would think you'd spend your money some where else........

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I took my 89 out wheelin right after my shackle reversal and noticed the front shaft was a bit short and showing quite abit of the spline, it lasted most of the day but slipped the spline while I was climbing out of a ravine before the day was quite finished. The shaft and slip yoke may not look to short but the whole idea of the front being able to drop more readily,(especialy SOA suspensions),can,(and did),cause failure. Later,
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.