Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey this maybe a stupid ? but i just thought i would throw it out.. Elusive and I are doing a schackle reversal and a thought hit us.. and we didnt get the plate number.. damn it. but anyway.. springs are made to go one way.. and well if you change that way.. do you put the spring in backwards. it is the same length from the center pin.. but one end went into the solid mount.. and one into the shackle.. and there is a slight difference. so would we change the spring.. or just leave it? we are wondering all of your thoughts.. better to ask before then.. well.. you all know.. we all have done it..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
the warrier shackle reversal kit i got didn't change the spring around. the small eye is still toward the front. i've also seen kits that put the big eye in the front. it seems to me that the big eye forward would give a little more flex and less wandering of the shackle.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
How can we move the axle forwards when doing a Shackle Reversal so the tires dont rub on the wheel-wells? Drill a new center-holes?

G

·
Most shackle reversal kits do move the forward spring hanger forward to compensate for the rearward movement of the spring during compression. If you are making your own kit, locate the solid front mount about 1" forward of the old shackle hanger.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You can place the spring mounts further forward. Also, MORE sells some plates for relocating the axle...it's basically a plate with a couple of holes to fit the center pin (2 different positions) and a pin-head to catch the hole in the spring pad.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes we are making our own.. from scrap... we've decided to put the spring in backwards.. so the shackle end still goes into the shackle.. we will have pics sometime next week on my website.. thanx guys..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.