Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep fabricator dude suggested I switch to a shackle reversal on my '82 CJ7 which has a skyjacker 4" lift and 33"s. Looks like MORE makes the best one, is this right? How will it improve my ride (smoother, hold a line straighter or what?) What is involved in the extended front driveshaft yoke? Am I correct that the MORE kit doesn't lift the front end? Thanks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I just installed MORE SRS and buggy springs on 82 CJ w/ 4" SUA; don't have enough miles on it yet to comment on driveability. It raised my front end a little, but not enough that I need to do anything in the rear to compensate. It relocates the axle forward about an inch and a half; your front drive shaft will no longer fit; long slip shaft from tom woods is $210. I also had steering issues, but without the buggy springs that may not be an issue with you; I also swapped axles at the same time, thus had lots of wholesale changes that also contributed to my steering issues; I believe MORE says you may have to go with a straight pitman arm, but don't remember if that was with just a SR or if that was a byproduct of the buggy springs. With SR the axle moves back instead of forward as the spring compresses; with a drop pitman this can cause interference between the tierod and draglink.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Depends on which MORE kit you get. Most of theirs lift it up 1", the newer kits with the "stubby" brackets do not lift it. SRS kits work better with arched springs by keeping the front end from pushing forward as you hit a bump by having the shackles move backwards. On vehicles with relatively flat springs, the SRS isn't as big of a deal because the springs are already flat, so when you hit a bump the shackles usually only move towards the back. Clear as mud? As soon as I find the article I'll post it.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

G

·
I installed a shackle reversal kit in my 90 Wrangler. It wasn't the MORE kit. The kit that I used did move the axle forward but I don't think it was enough. I did notice an improvement in driving on pavement but it wasn't worth the problems I see while driving offroad. With the shackles behind the axle the whell travels toward the body during suspension compression. Articulating across obstacles causes the front tires to slam into the tub. It is so bad that I can't turn the wheel at extreme compression. Shackle reversal also complicates the driveshaft. I had a new shaft built by Tom Wood's. He recommended that I get his long travel spline but he also said that this spline is so heavy it shouldn't be used for daily driving. Daily driving would wear it out. I don't know about you but I don't want to drive to the trail and then install my front driveshaft (call me a wuss). I ended up buying his 6" spline which he recommended I run limiting straps on the axle to limit travel. This leads me to my next project ..... chopping the corners of the tub to get more tire clearance........

Attachments

G

·
I've seen a bunch of shackle reversal kits, and MORE makes the best, IMO. The ride will be smoother, but it should have no effect on holding a straight line. If you're having problems in that area, you have some type of alignment problem that an SRS isn't going to fix. Because the kit moves the axle forward, you'll need to either have your driveshaft lengthened or buy a longer driveshaft so the splines don't separate during droop. The splines will also have to have enough travel so that the axle doesn't push the drivshaft into the t-case during compression. The MORE SRS kit will not add any lift to the front if the buggy spring kit is not used and the shackle hanger is mounted through the frame as MORE suggests rather than under it. One 'adverse' effect of the SRS is a slight bit of nose diving upon braking, but you'll get use to it in no time. It's never created a problem for me in the 2+ years I've had mine installed. You might want to hold off on buying the kit for a little bit. MORE is planning on releasing the stubby spring hangers sometime this Summer. The stubbies will greatly increase your approach angle over the longer hanger. I'll be ordering a set of the stubby hangers for mine as soon as they're available.

Dean
82 Feep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts