Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Personally, I would not go over 1" longer than stock shackles, for a 1/2" of lift. I used to have the really long ones, like 2.5" longer than stock, for 1 1/4" lift on my YJ. I had some rear driveshaft vibrations, and the front of the front spring was so close to the ground that I stuffed it into a rock and bent the spring. /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif DOH! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Too long shackles are simply bad news.

A 1" longer shackle is just about perfect, in my opinion, as it prevents the rear of the rear spring from hitting the frame when flexing, and isn't too long that it causes problems. I cut down my 2.5" longer ones in front, and made some custom ones in back out of 3/8" plate.

I also have the JKS 1.25" body lift - it's a nice product.

If you think about it, varying each system a little is better than varying any 1 system a lot. i.e., do a little shackle lift, a little body lift, a little suspension lift. This would be better than a big body lift and nothing else, or a big shackle lift and nothing else, and a 2.5" suspension lift is less complicated than like the 4.5" suspension lift.

Throw on some TJ flares with a little trim, and you've got yourself a nice setup that changes each system a little bit. HEY, all that stuff describes my Jeep. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

TJ flares, 1.25" body, 1" longer shackles, 3" suspension.

Just my opinion
Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.