Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the $ for a real lift. I just want to clear 31"s. Is the shackle lift okay? If so, what size is best. Maybe I'll add a 1 or 2 inch body lift in the future. But like I said, 31" is the largest I will go for a while. Thanks for the advice. Vehicle is a stock 95 YJ, 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
1" body lift max., and a 3/4" shackle lift should be plenty for running 31's

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
1" body and they fid just fine. it was hard to get them to rub.. Here is a pic.

31x10.5 with only a 1" bodylift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Avoid the body lift if at all possible....not only is it not really safe, it looks really dorky.

Unless you do moderate to serious 4 wheeling, you really don't need a lift with 31" tires. Even with just a shackle lift, you start to have issues with shocks...and the shackles throw off your front end.

If money is an issue....the best bang for the buck is an SOA using your stock springs. As long as you have some mechanical abilities (welding, etc), your only real expense is shocks, extended brake lines and a CV driveshaft....all of which is about = to decent new springs.

So...save your bucks...go with the 31" tires, and when you have the money, do an SOA.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
The one piece 1" body lift/bushings are safe and don't look dorky.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
IMO, for 31s on a YJ you're going to want at least a 1" Body lift, or a small shackle lift, or TJ flares, or preferably, some combo of these. I had 31s when I started, and went with the BIG shackle lift: 2.5" longer shackles. Caused vibrations in the rear driveshaft. Not good.

For shackles, I would not go longer than 1" over stock, for 1/2" (one-half inch) of lift. This should keep you away from (or at the very least minimize) any driveshaft vibration issues. Longer shackles can also put longer moment arms on your shackle mounts (especially in front) and this can lead to cracked welds on the shackle mounts on the front of a YJ. 1" longer will also minize any axle rotation issues in front - should not even be noticeable.

A 1" body lift is not bad, and doesn't look bad - not like a 3". Also, for the health of your body mounts, I would not go over a 1" or 1.25" body lift. JKS makes a nice 1.25" body lift kit with counterbores on the underside of the puck so it centers on your existing body mount. It's a nice kit, and is what I have. The one-piece body mount / lift puck jobs are typically poly, and can lead to unwanted vibrations. Keeping the rubber body mounts is desireable.

TJ flares are awesome - lead to a better look (IMO), and more clearance, especially at the rear of the rear flares, which is where you'll hit first. Consider them.

If in the future you go SOA, or any other lift, you may still want the TJ flares and the shackles, so I'd say go that route. TJ flares, 1" longer shackles. Should work well for 31s. Skip the body lift for now.

No offense to DD, but I've seen similar statements a bunch of times, and I really don't think they're good statements:

""""the best bang for the buck is an SOA using your stock springs. As long as you have some mechanical abilities (welding, etc), your only real expense is shocks, extended brake lines and a CV driveshaft....all of which is about = to decent new springs.""""

+ a SYE.
+ re-gearing?
+ some steering solution: at the very least a drop pitman arm, or high steer.
+ seeing that SOA would equate to at least 33-35s, that means likely an axle upgrade, at least for the rear. If you're going SOA, it would be a good time to upgrade.
+ dealing with axle wrap if it's a problem (add-a-leaf, anti-wrap bar). I think most people you find will tell you that stock springs will eventually have issues with axle wrap, without at the very least an extra main leaf thrown in.
+ new bump stops for the big tires?
+ dealing with the trac bars front/rear if you're not comfortable removing them.
+ ?

SOA can be a lot of work, and it's not as simple as putting the axles on the bottom of the springs.

Just my opinion. No offense to anyone.
Good luck,
Pete

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
31's fit on a stock CJ7.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
31's fit on a stock CJ7.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fronts can just touch the fender lips, and the rears lightly rub the fenderwells. Neither is a significant problem.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I don't have a picture of mine here but it had 31's with stock springs for many years. I think Jim_Lou has 31's on his with stock springs still.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Right click his avatar and choose view image. It will give you a larger version.

·
Registered
830 Posts
One thing I did not see mentioned is that longer shackles will also negatively affect your castor.

Castor is the amount of tilt of your axle. Think about it this way, a BMX bike has little castor, and a Chopper has tons of castor. The less you have, the less your vehicle will track in a straight line.

IMHO Jeeps hould have 5-7 degrees. If you put on longer shackles, you will reduce this.

Just keep that in mind. A little is probably ok (1" longer) but more and you'll steer funny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts